Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 07:05 PM

Default the other side of the coin....getting isolated!

i recently moved up to playing 3/6 and i've come across a problem that i've rarely dealt with in the past.

at 2/4 players rarely isolate a raise (and when they do, they have a hand). at 3/6 it seems like every time i raise, someone will 3-bet isolate me.

how do you guys generally deal with this? let's say you have A8o and you raise on the CO. the button 3-bets, blinds fold, you call.

flop comes rags. do you bet? i don't like this because 1, they call, and you probably bet the turn, they raise. or 2 you check, they bet, you fold and it seems a bit weak.

since this is a relatively new situation for me (since i haven't experienced it much before) i've basically taken the passive route and not pay 2 big bets to find out.

your read is you know that a player is capable of isolating you...if you catch a piece of the flop it makes it an easy call down. is it worth it to use FPS just in case your ace high no kicker is up against KQ?
Old 04-27-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: the other side of the coin....getting isolated!

This doesn't happen all the time at 3/6 at all, players will 3-bet with position with slightly more hands than at 2/4 I'd guess, but it still usually doesn't happen. If a specific player on the button frequently does this then just call down with weaker hands than you usually would and let them bet as a bluff a lot if they tend to continue this post-flop. Don't try tricky things like check-raising if they might 3-bet and you'll hate it. Don't put yourself in a situation where you're likely to make an incorrect fold.