Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Food for thought... ;)

http://groups.google.se/group/rec.gambli...76dd8c77b1f9f23
Old 11-07-2005, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Food for thought... ;)

[ QUOTE ]
http://groups.google.se/group/rec.gambli...76dd8c77b1f9f23

[/ QUOTE ]

You did look at the date of that post, right?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Re: What\'s With This DERB?

And the game is not soft, at least it isn't usually soft, maybe 1-3 spots.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

3. If this strategy is indeed a success, 2+2 Publishing
should commission a book on this revolutionary new way to win at poker! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Metagame strategies work best with a few utilizing it; when many do, an alternate one emerges to best the former.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-07-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a good reason to believe that his results are legitmate? Even if he is not colluding, could he perhaps be having chips dumped to him for sime reason?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He's just good and the reasons are quite simple in my view. In a nutahell, his image wins him more bets than his occasional questionable decisions loses him. He plays a style that most 2+2 TAG-types don't know how to exploit properly (and still beats the true fish).

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've probably played against DERB but I am not a PT nit so I can't analyze it. However, the answer seems obvious anyway. DERB is probably a winning player because he makes up for his mistakes with additional action he gets. However the fact that he seems to be the BIGGEST winner is probably due to variance as opposed to skill. Also, it is more likely that he stumbled upon a profitable strategy than that he conciously constructed some new and innovative approach to holdem. I agree with the people who say there is more than one way to win at limit holdem. I also agree that he makes plays that have no justification even as part of a metagame strategy. Therefore the obvious conclusion is that he is a small winner who has been lucky. He doesn't have to be the biggest winner ever or the luckiest player in history. There is middle ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glenn, please do not try to bring logic and reason into these discussions. He is either the greatest player ever with a revolutionary new style or a cheater.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've probably played against DERB but I am not a PT nit so I can't analyze it. However, the answer seems obvious anyway. DERB is probably a winning player because he makes up for his mistakes with additional action he gets. However the fact that he seems to be the BIGGEST winner is probably due to variance as opposed to skill. Also, it is more likely that he stumbled upon a profitable strategy than that he conciously constructed some new and innovative approach to holdem. I agree with the people who say there is more than one way to win at limit holdem. I also agree that he makes plays that have no justification even as part of a metagame strategy. Therefore the obvious conclusion is that he is a small winner who has been lucky. He doesn't have to be the biggest winner ever or the luckiest player in history. There is middle ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glenn, please do not try to bring logic and reason into these discussions. He is either the greatest player ever with a revolutionary new style or a cheater.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Glenn's comments are too well thought out, and could accidently lead to us not having any more DERB threads.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:44 AM

I happened to read this this afternoon and I thought it was pertinent to this discussion.

"Many plays are neither right or wrong, but are just different ways to play a hand. These differences in the play of similar hands will keep opponents off balance. A play that looks bad or doesn't work on one hand may generate a mistake from an opponent on another. Players who make their opponents play badly often don't get the credit they deserve. The 'starting-hand policemen' say, "Look what he started with!" There are players who appear to play more hands than they should, but win because they bet their hands well and force their opponents to guess what they are doing."

Barry Greenstein, Ace on the River, page 203.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:48 AM

I want to add to this, but non-sarcastically.

I am suspecting that the aura of DERB is becoming more impressive than the real thing as these threads continue to grow.

Before stories of his winrate become too exaggerated, can people who have significant numbers of hands with him get together, merge databases and actually come up with his winrate over as many hands as possible?

-v
Old 11-07-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to add to this, but non-sarcastically.

I am suspecting that the aura of DERB is becoming more impressive than the real thing as these threads continue to grow.

Before stories of his winrate become too exaggerated, can people who have significant numbers of hands with him get together, merge databases and actually come up with his winrate over as many hands as possible?

-v

[/ QUOTE ]

Rosamunda ("luckbox" in old 30/60 games)--->Lojka---> Brizgiac

thats one very long, very sustained string of luck.

Barron