Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Rebuy tournament strategy

Am I the only one who actually plays tighter during the rebuy period?? Seems to me that so many people play so loose that thats the only option for me. Id be interested to hear how your strategy changes in a rebuy tourney (if at all) during the rebuy period.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Rebuy tournament strategy

Anyone?
Old 09-10-2005, 11:43 AM

Depends on my mood and the table I'm on. Once in a while you get a lucky draw and get one and sometimes two maniacs who will go all-in preflop with any suited hand, and you can just hold on and wait until you have good position. Somedays, I like to be this maniac in a hope to get lucky and build an ok stack while hopefully loosening up the table at the same time. Other times, I just call with practically every hand and make my moves on the flop.

I don't understand why you'd play tighter when there are looser players at the table. Become loose as well and call with a range of hands that beats their range of hands. If you're risk-averse, maybe you shouldn't be playing rebuys...When I play the $10 R+A on Stars, I expect to be in for $70 on average, maybe more. The more money you allow yourself to spend, the more money on average you'll have at the end of the rebuy.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:29 PM

Playing tight during the rebuy period is bad strategy. In an overly loose game you want to loosen your standards, raise more, value bet more... sitting on your hands, waiting for the nuts, isn't an optimal strategy.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:13 PM

i wouldn't say it's 'bad' strategy... it just may not be optimal... but playing tight at one of the crazy tables can definitely get you a lot of chips..

i've recently been goign with the strategy of open pushing AJs+ and 99+

amazing the hands that call you.