Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2003, 10:32 AM

Default SNG heads up - str8 draw on paired flop

6-handed $10+1 SNG on UB, now we're heads up . We both have about even chips, with the blinds at 30-60. In the SB I get 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and flat call, which I think was a mistake as he was folding a lot to raises. He checks. Flop is 996. He checks, I bet the pot - 120. He check-raises another 120. I'm pretty sure he has a 9 but feel I am priced into calling here. Turn is a 5. I bet out 500. He raises 1000, I go all-in. he has 94, river is another six giving him a house to beat my straight. I fume.
Was this a just bad beat or should I have got out earlier on? Fearing full houses heads-up seems like looking for monsters under the bed, and I think he played it badly by letting me draw out, but with the blinds relatively small should I have waited for another spot to commit my chips when I am fairly sure that he has outs to a full, though he probably doesn't have one yet?
Old 07-30-2003, 01:38 PM

Default Re: SNG heads up - str8 draw on paired flop

I would have played it just as you did, with the exception of: I would have raised preflop. You went all-in with the best hand. Whenever you've done that, you can't second guess yourself. You did the right thing.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:05 PM

I would have folded at the check raise if you are confident he has a 9 or even an overpair. You are getting barely over 3/1 and you are a 3/1 dog vs a 9 and a 7/3 dog vs an overpair. If you think he could also check raise with two overcards then youve got a call.

I believe in the advice that you don't play drawing hands with barely the proper odds, and you don't confront other big stacks without the nuts.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:46 AM

But this ignores implied odds - he definitely won't fold a 9, an dprobably won't fold an over pair, as I've been playing very aggressively.

"I believe in the advice that you don't play drawing hands with barely the proper odds, and you don't confront other big stacks without the nuts."
Surely this isn't the case heads-up? Even with currently smallish blinds, I'm going to be down to the felt before I can take this guy on with the nuts.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:12 PM

When you are heads up your implied odds are always less than your current odds (if they are > than even money), since all future bets can only bring in an equal amount of money. For example, if the pot currently has 3 big blinds and you only need 1 to call your current odds are 3/1. If you look at total bets to the end if you make your hand and are called, and the smaller stack is 20 big blinds, then the total at the end is (20+20+3)/(20+20+1).

The comment about not facing big stacks without the nuts was only referring to early, not in the end game.

Even then drawing hands can be a big chip bleed if the blinds are high or the opponent is aggressive. But not playing drawing hands doesnt mean only playing the nuts, it means value betting made hands and well timed bluffs/semi-bluffs.