Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 01:01 AM

Default Re: starting out on the long road, need some help...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate your concern guys, but I've thought this through.

[/ QUOTE ]

classic line.

[/ QUOTE ]

And famous last words.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Discipline...make sure you have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's that??

DISH......UHP.......LYNE

huh? never heard of it.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:58 AM

Just to give an example, I play 4 3/6 games at once, very tight, and have lost more than 1000 in a day. It happens, and the opposite happens as well. Just be very careful with your bankroll.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the support, guys. Also, I'm grateful for the advice from people like dutchgrl, pfkaok, and microbob. I'm taking it on board.

I should make it clear that I'm most certainly not going to cash out any money until I've built up my bankroll significantly. Almost every penny I make in the first couple of months is going towards establishing myself.

As my bankroll grows, I'm also going to be more careful with the stakes i play. This was always the plan. After all, if i lose the first 1800, i'm just a couple months of temping away from starting again.

regards

Colm
Old 11-24-2004, 07:00 AM

They're trying to tell you that you don't have to risk the downtime and loss of temping a few months if you just play lower levels that fit your bankroll better.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:21 AM

Hi,

lot of good things has already been said but here comes my approach to this.

You are stating in the headline about the long-road and with that in mind all the time, you can be successful.

Money is the key thing here to be successful. My suggestion is:
What are you minimum living expenses? get a secondary job that covers that (poker is your prime job)
This will give you 2 things: First of all you are not depending on pokerwinnings in the beginning of this long road and secondly not thinking about poker all the time will keep you focused when playing.

When you have 2BB/100 hands at 5/10 for a period of 15000 - 20000 hands and a bankroll of 400 BB + expences for 2 month you are ready to quite your secondary job and play full-time.

If you are serious about being a successful pokerpro let it take the time it takes because the long road will be less bumpy then.

If you are planning to spend 50 hours a week on your poker job then realise that you only play 40 hours. 20% of this job requires reading books, analysing pokertracker, follow forums etc etc.

I know this is the booring way but if you are going to play poker as a job for maybe 20 years one boring year in the beginning is worth it.
All jobs are boring in the beginning until you master it and poker is not different.

Just my two cents
Lamby

p.s
I am not a pokerpro and will never be one. The reason for me is that I love going to a job with co-workers, have coffebreaks and discuss sports, last nights movie etc etc.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:40 AM

You sound like you haven't been playing poker very long. I can't wait to see how this turns out. good luck, sincerely.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know this is the booring way but if you are going to play poker as a job for maybe 20 years one boring year in the beginning is worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's weird, I have more fun reading books and studying this site than I do actually playing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing, but I really enjoy the work that goes into getting better.

Justin A
Old 11-25-2004, 02:00 AM

I agree with this, I definately enjoy playing, but sometimes (still!) can find it stressful after periods where I've played alot, making up excuses to myself so I can read forums instead. Oh well at least I'm aware of that problem, now I should just fix it. My biggest problem really is getting hands in nowadays.

To the original poster, I also wish you the best of luck. We are in very similiar positions (I should move out of here, I really should. Man, I should), and just be disciplined and you should be fine. Don't be fooled though; playing for a living can be very tough, mentally. Prepare for some rough times, especially before you're fully accustomed to the sometimes huge variance. With that relatively small bankroll I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable, I would definately concentrate on growing that and not cashing out/moving up/etc until you have some more BB's and experience. Like everybody else said.

Again, best of luck! Keep us updated.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:53 AM

Sounds like a post from a dreamer

Did you watch rounders or some poker on tv and thought hey i'll turn pro?

How many months have you spent studying the game seriously as well as poker tracker stats?

What books have you read?

If you have limited experience then get a casual/part-time job while you learn the game and work your way up limits.

I started in July and studied my ass off for 5 months now, working my way up from 5c/10c to $5/$10 6max. Most players take much longer than this to progress. I work so I can afford to move up much quicker as well as not burn out from poker.

Its definately not easy, I'm at least 2-3months away from going pro even though my results are good.

I suggest you post some stats and a bit more info about your situation before you do something dumb.