Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Do I need to follow this through?

[ QUOTE ]
If he had a hand he probably wouldn't want me to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. If I was the villian and had any piece of that flop or a PP, I would raise it up hoping to fold you.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:44 PM

Way more important then your river decision is your flop play. Either call the flop, and fold the turn UI, or fold the flop. They are similar in EV, unless you know how your opponent plays pretty well.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:56 PM

Hmm. I think you paid enough already, so I take a free showdown.

What kind of hands does a TAG check-raise this flop with? When we 3-bet, I think we silence his top pair, and are repping a big pair. I think we're behind here a lot, though. I would probably take the free river card vs. the free showdown, after the way it was played on the flop.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:00 PM

Check behind on the river. If he missed the mostly likely draw, JT or maybe QJ, then you are still ahead, but he won't call the river bet with these. If he has an ace high then the better ones will likely call and the worse ones will likely fold. You may come out slightly ahead if anything against the aces since it is not likely he has AK or AQ, but anything that you make here you will lose to the pairs that call your bet. Overall, I can't see value in this bet. You are behind just about every other hand I can think of that a TAG will call your turn bet with.

I also don't see the value in the flop 3-bet, as others have said. If you want to induce some folding equity against a TAG then maybe raise a safe turn, but the 3-bet on the flop seems a little spewy to me. He is not folding to it, your hand is weak, and you are setting yourself up for putting in a lot of money on a hand where you have whiffed.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What kind of hands does a TAG check-raise this flop with? When we 3-bet, I think we silence his top pair, and are repping a big pair. I think we're behind here a lot, though. I would probably take the free river card vs. the free showdown, after the way it was played on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you folding the river UI?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:45 PM

Call the flop check-raise and fold the turn UI. I think most tag villains have hit at least something to check-raise this flop. The fact that he called behind on the turn makes it even more likely to have hit something on the flop.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think our turn check induces the river bluff often enough to call UI.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want my honest opinion, I think your line is terrible.

you really think a TAG is c/r the flop with nothing enough to play it this way? and if he is, how are you giving him a free card on the turn? it boggles my mind.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want my honest opinion, I think your line is terrible.

you really think a TAG is c/r the flop with nothing enough to play it this way? and if he is, how are you giving him a free card on the turn? it boggles my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your honesty is appreciated. I do say things that make no sense periodically, and this was the case. Indeed, I said the TAG had a hand when he checkraises us on this flop, which is why I don't think we should be betting this turn. In general checking behind on the turn induces a river bluff. However, I agree, if we are behind at the flop, then we are not ahead UI on the river.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Your honesty is appreciated. I do say things that make no sense periodically, and this was the case. Indeed, I said the TAG had a hand when he checkraises us on this flop, which is why I don't think we should be betting this turn. In general checking behind on the turn induces a river bluff. However, I agree, if we are behind at the flop, then we are not ahead UI on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's really the flop 3-bet/turn check combo that makes no sense to me. I agree that checking the turn makes me more inclined to call the river.