Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 09:47 AM

Default Flopping Top Pair in EP

Hello,
This is a hard to play situation at times. Lets suppose you are in EP, 6 players in the hand, with KJs and the flop comes K-10-6 rainbow. you are first to act. Jones suggests a Check-raise here. I usually bet it out. Which do you feel is the best play here? With 5 people behind you to act, maybe I should start check-raising in those situations to get draws either out or giving them horrible pot odds to continue. This is assuming a pretty typical 2/4 game, loose and somewhat passive. So maybe it is the best play. Any input here?
Old 11-25-2003, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Flopping Top Pair in EP

If you can depend on a late position bet, then go for a check raise. Having to call 2 bets cold will get more people to fold and hurt their odds if they stay. Even if the bettor has you beat at this point, your odds of winning improve chasing people out. See HPFAP.

However, if the game is passive, then you can't depend on someone betting the button. So you need to bet to avoid the free card. Checking is weak.

Holdem is a big pair game. When you have top pair good kicker on a non threatening flop, your in good shape to win the pot. Even after telling the world you have top pair, you will still get calls on the river by people holding a middle pair. Charge them.

So bet it until someone lets you know they have top pair beat. It happens, but top pair holds up enough to make it a good bet.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:11 PM

Loose and passive game - Bet
Agressive player on my left - Bet and hope he raises to thin field
Agressive player on my right - Go for check raise
Old 11-25-2003, 02:32 PM

There is a BIG difference between this situation in the blinds and when in EP. Routinely check-raise, just about everything, from the blinds. This looks natural since you'll want to check the vast majority of your blind hands anyway.

However, players expect you to have big cards if you call EP and will be suspicious, and rightfully so, when big cards flop and you check. This also looks "natural" since you will be wanting to bet out with most of your EP hands.

- Louie
Old 11-25-2003, 03:05 PM

Nobodys folding to a check raise in a Party 2/4. Bet it out.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:50 PM

Commenting on other posts:

I don't think anyone in 2-4 respects an early position call pre flop since over 50% of the table usually sees the flop at this level. So I don't think a check is suspicious here. It would be if you raised preflop.

I also don't think a check raise will cause a lot of folks to fold. It depends who bets after you. If it checks all the way to the button, you may drive out the others. If one or two positions later bets you will almost certainly get everyone to call 2 bets as everyone in low limit hates to throw their initial bet away.

I say mix up your play. If you are running good, go for the check raise and build up the pot. If you have been running bad, play a little more conservative and bet out.