Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2004, 01:31 PM

Default Rolled up Queens

20/40 7Stud home game. Player on right with a Jack raises bring in. I decide to call. Player on my left (loose agressive) with King showing re-raises to $40. Player (loose passive) with an Ace showing calls and the original raiser calls. I decide to slow play and just call.

1. Should I have re-raised the first raise?
2. Should I have re-raised to $60 when it came around to me again?
Old 01-16-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Rolled up Queens

with rolled up trips as high as queens I think just smooth calling is in order till at least fifth street. The reraise of the king would surely have tipped your hand
Old 01-16-2004, 03:21 PM

You'd be giving away your hand too early to anyone half aware, so stay below the radar and give 'em the bill later on. Looks like you're going to play a big pot - which is just what you want.

dogs
Old 01-16-2004, 04:26 PM

I have to disagree here. Just calling the first time around, absolutely. Once you've got three opponents in for $60 each, the pot is big enough that they probably won't fold and if they do you're just as happy. Raise it up and don't stop 'til they drop. If you're against ultra-strong opponents who are going to read your hand as rolled up, then maybe just calling a second time is good. But I find many players don't read that precisely. -- they may just think it's a wtf move with queens and a big kicker, a big flush draw or whatever. I had rolled tens in a live 5-10 game recently and just went insane from third one with three betting and betting/raising at every opportunity and still got called down by two players. One had two pair (nines up!) the other had split fours with no draw and hit a third one on sixth street. I think most players will call if they were going to call based on their hand, so why not use this to your advantage and let them call one more when your hand is almost surely boss.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:33 PM

1. no
2. yes
my $.02
Old 01-16-2004, 09:59 PM

Default Agree

re-popping third gives away your hand. But if you don't re-pop third, aces up, kings up, or maybe even jacks up will pay you off the whole way. pop it on fifth or sixth.

al
Old 01-19-2004, 06:51 PM

If people are routinely calling two bets cold, sure, go ahead and reraise after the Jack. You would do this if you had two Queens, so why not with three? If you decide to just call and then three-bet when it gets back to you, it should give your hand away. Is there any other hand that you'd play this way? I might make this kind of play with a big three-flush once in a blue moon, but in this specific scenario, the only hand I might have is rolled-up Queens. If my opponents are going to stay with me too long anyway, yeah, I might go ahead and raise. Actually, if I make it three bets and everyone calls, that will put 13 or so small bets in the pot counting the ante, and that's probably worth claiming on fourth street, even with rolled-up Queens. Still, I probably just call both times and raise on fifth.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:07 PM

the answer really depends on how well your opponents read cards. by the book someone who reraises a possible high pair is saying that they might have trips, but in real life players make all kinds of stupid plays based on their hand and not yours. if you reraise you may not be announcing your hand or they may misread it.

so i would say no on question 1 and yes on question 2.

pat
Old 01-22-2004, 01:56 PM

Default huh?

I would think that raising the Jacks with a King behind would be almost an automatic reraise here. Now, if the Kings repop (as I would if I had them, unless the Q and J players were poor players), THEN smooth-call and wait until 5th street to get aggressive.

Once you decided to smooth-call the Jacks, reraising the ladies announces your hand too much. Wait until you can reasonably represent two pair to the Kings.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:27 AM

Default Re: huh?

you dont mind announcing your hand at these limits since there is a good chance that they still will not read it right or wont even care. this is the type of adjustment in play at low limits that makes extra profit, since there are many players who are just so bad that you cant use typical logic. you may think you are announcing your hand when they dont even care what you have. this is not always true obviously but it is true enough that it affects the correct play.

as an example, i once saw a player with a flush go NINE bets on the river only to lose to four of a kind. you would think that it was clear what hand was held. another example was a player who EVERY time she had a threeflush would cap the pot. would you mind announcing your hand then?

Pat