Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: What\'s the move?

In case it matters, I have an image as a very agressive player when stealing uncontested pots, and have shown this agression quite a bit. However, I have not gone over the top of raisers at all without a top hand, and have showdown QQ and KK (twice) when I have.

With this guy being looser than normal, and my being more agressive than the norm, I opened up his range of hands that he'd call a push with.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:20 PM

How wide of a calling range do you put him on? If he is calling here with 99+,AK,AQs I can't get my chips in fast enough. He still folds most of the time and you get a nice boost to your stack uncontested, and when he does call you are not in terrible shape. This is an auto-push for me in the SB with a stack this size.

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 48.5978 % 47.45% 01.14% { JJ }
Hand 2: 51.4022 % 50.26% 01.14% { 99+, AQs+, AKo }

Edit: I am also pushing TT, 99, and usually 88 here, lower than that depends on the player.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:02 PM

If I'm villian, I'm only calling Hero's push with AA-QQ. Given the 4X raise, Villian probably wants the blinds and I expect Villian to fold to my push.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:10 PM

Yeah, calling range here gets into what does he think I think. Villian could have say 99, or AQ, and think Hero put him on a steal with junk. Villian will have a hard time folding this then. Gets very player dependent here, but I agree I expect Villian to fold here VERY often, thus the reason for the push.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Results

While I put him on a slightly wider range of hands, I too thought he would fold to a push here. I considered playing a stop and go, but figured with the FE I was getting, and the possibility that I was ahead, I had to push.

He deliberates for the 60 seconds, and then calls with AKo.

Flop is 234
Turn is 2349
River is 2349K

GG me, bad call you.

In case it matters, this was an afternoon $20/2.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Results

If he puts you on anything under KK or AA (neither of which seems very likely), he's making the right play. You both played it right, and in a perfect world the board would have given you both the straight so you could split.