Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Hand from Bellagio 5 diamond

[ QUOTE ]
she knows better than to think yer gonna give up the pot on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had given up at least 3 other pots to her, after making one fairly large continuation bet, and she had always proceeded to bet behind me, when I checked the next street, and I had folded. Because we were discussing almost every hand that was being played out, she had always shown her hand, even though her bet wasn't called, and it was always, an overpair, TPTK, or an underpair to just the top pair on board. Basically, we had established that we were not going to get involved in big pots with each other, without very strong holdings. We both had too many chips, and too much to lose.

[ QUOTE ]
you must give her a TON of respect if you think she folds AA there, or even AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really isn't about giving her respect, it is about her past play, she is definitely more into stack protection than making great reads. She would frequently call smallish bets, that couldn't hurt her stack, with much less than top pair. But if there were any type of action that threatened her stack, she never showed worse than TPTK, and that is when the opposing player gave up, whenever the pressure continued, she wouldn't even call. Granted, those hands where she didn't call, she may have had garbage, but more likely, she was folding because she didn't want to damage her stack, if she didn't have the best hand. I don't think that she really even tried making a read that wasn't based on bet sizes. Based on that, and the fact that I had set up a pattern of only having very strong hands when I bet large on the river, I am 100% that she is never calling with AA or AK on the river.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 100% that she is never calling with AA or AK on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is an incredible strong assessment. she would have to ping you on damn near exactly KK. as such.. is the line you took on this hand the line you would take with KK? obv her reaction would be different because she didnt in fact have KK also.. however im curious how you would play such a hand, or even something like 76s/65s type of hand.. presuming she had AA or AK and you were trying to maximize value. holla
Old 12-15-2005, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
she would have to ping you on damn near exactly KK

[/ QUOTE ]

No, remember, that I had stated earlier that she had known that I frequently would get out of line preflop, for me to be holding two random cards in that spot is definitely something that I knew that she could recognize. In our past pots together, the hands that she had taken down, she took with no contest, after I had given up after taking one stab. Obviously, these hands it was obvious that I had two random cards, and just missed the board, which became apparent after she bet and I instantly folded, I don't waste time trying to make people think that I could call their bet, as some do after taking a stab and then folding. I just instantly fold. I am in enough pots where it is clear that it is unlikely for me to be holding a premium hand, at any given time, so trying to act as if I might call has no benefits, it isn't going to cause people to play back at me less. These people are not idiots, they know that I am stealing, and I don't even try and convince them otherwise...I just say something like, "your lucky I raised/bet with trash," and fold. So in the hand above, if I don't think that she cannot extend her read of my range of hands to include a six, would make this whole line ridiculous for me to play.

She was there when I doubled through Patrick with 75, and she was also there when I busted Joe Seebok with 86 in a raised pot. And we had talked about these hands as well, so I had a very good idea of what level of thinking she was on, in any given situation.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:25 AM

fair enough. given the information you have now detailed out, i really like the way you played the hand. sure had to pry to get ya to talk about it a bit [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] good luck in the tournament. im curious though, how did raja play, i noticed he busted around 40thish, and i havent had a chance to talk to him since the end of day one. holla
Old 12-15-2005, 03:24 PM

I like the idea about the hand, but there are a couple of things I find problematic. First, you don't mention looking for any reads on the given hand. It seems that you arbitrarily decided "this" would be the hand for you to make a move. Also, is this the best board for that play? The pair on the flop may scare her, but it's not nearly as bad as a 4458 board or something like that. Do you think she's more inclined to fold because of the relatively tame looking flop? That's certainly a possobility. For the most part I like the idea of using your knowledge to make a well-thought out play, but have to wonder (especially knowing the result) if you were careful enough to choose the best possible time.
Closed Thread