Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Triangle problem from exam

I encountered this problem on the GRE today. Unless I read the question wrong, or I am a complete moran I did not see an answer that was the correct answer to the question.

There is a triangle shown, two of the angles are labled T degree. The third angle of the triangle is labled N degree. It is said that the mean degree of the triangles labled T degree is 65. So the mean of T1, and T2 is 65. You are to figure out what degree N is.

The answers given to choose from are 60, 65, 70, 75, 80.

So, what's the answer to the question?
Old 10-28-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Triangle problem from exam

[ QUOTE ]
I encountered this problem on the GRE today. Unless I read the question wrong, or I am a complete moran I did not see an answer that was the correct answer to the question.

There is a triangle shown, two of the angles are labled T degree. The third angle of the triangle is labled N degree. It is said that the mean degree of the triangles labled T degree is 65. So the mean of T1, and T2 is 65. You are to figure out what degree N is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it the angles are the internal angles of the triangle and they are labelled T1, T2, N.

The mean of T1 and T2 is 65 degrees so the total of T1 and T2 is 130 degrees.

The sum of the interior angles of a triangle is 180 degrees so N is 50 degrees.

This is not on the list of answers so I guess this is why you posted the question.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it the angles are the internal angles of the triangle and they are labelled T1, T2, N.

This is not on the list of answers so I guess this is why you posted the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct
Old 10-28-2005, 06:24 PM

T1 + T2 = 130 deg, what is N?

Clearly, N = 60 deg, so that T1 + T2 + N = 190 deg. See why.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you misread the question (?) and the angles are N, T and T (which is what you first state in your post) and the mean of T and N is 65 then N = 80 which IS on the list [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]