Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Flopped trip 5\'s, could I get away from it?

No-Limit tournament 15 players
Blinds are 75-150 with 6 players left at my table,I have ~5,000 in chips (I am leader at my table, but another table is going, I don't know how I stand with it). Small stack at table calls big blind (tight, solid player), I call with pocket 5's, small blind folds, big blind (aggressive player, plays a lot of cards) checks. Flop comes 9, 5, 7 with 2 hearts. Solid player checks, I check, aggressive BB bets 500, solid small stack just calls...I want to get rid of any draws, so I raise it to 2,500 (which will put small stack all-in). BB quickly goes all-in, small stack calls,calling will leave me with about 1,200 in chips. I am thinking that the small stack is on a flush draw and the BB must have top pair with a good kicker...He isn't the type player that would not raise in the BB with a pocket pair. Anyway, small stack is on flush draw, BB turns over pocket 9's, his trip 9's hold up, leaving me all but busted. Any advice on how I could have played this differently?
Thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Flopped trip 5\'s, could I get away from it?

Sorry, incorrect inforomation..........too early! Actually, after the flop, BB bets 500, small stack calls and I raise to 2,500.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:10 AM

Are you saying there were 2 tables of 3 players or 2 tables of 6?

What was the payout structure?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:24 AM

Started off with 15 players at two tables, by this time there were a total of 11 players left, 6 at my table, 5 at the other. Pay out was 1st place $150.00, 2nd place $90.00 and 3rd place $60.00.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice on how I could have played this differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't the question you're asking, but -- I would not have slow-played flop. My concern with two hearts on the board is that it will get checked around and that you're giving a flush draw a free card, which can't be the right play.

However, in this particular hand, it doesn't make any difference. You hit a set, and you have to play it aggressively. You want to maximize the chips in the pot. Sure, there's a possibility of an over-set. Alternately, another heart could have come down and you'd have been beaten by the flush. However, you have to figure that your set is the best hand in an overwhelming number of cases. You just can't wait for the nuts.

Unfortunately, the Poker Gods weren't with you in this hand, and you were destined to lose most of your stack.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 AM

how about using paragraphs next time - man that's hard to read

if you flop trip 5's in a home game you're not getting away from it
Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 AM

I have to try to get all the money in with this hand. Set over set is VERY rare. Bummer about the result.

Oh yeah, unless you not only have a read on the BB but also some strong evidence he's going to bet this particular ragged board (giving you a chance to checkraise)... BET THE FRIGGIN' FLOP! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Way too many draws out there for SB to check his bottom set.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:07 PM

I had a VERY similar situation in a VERY wild NL Ring Cash Game last night....

8 Handed - .25/.50 blinds}

Pocket 55

It is raised to $1.50 Preflop by UTG....3 callers (including myself on button)

Flop 5 7 K (two spades)
$6 in pot

SB leads for $2... BB raises to $5 (doesn't worry me.. he's over the top aggressive).... I bump it to $15 and get 2 callers (one all in). Turn is a blank and I push for another $25.... called.

River 8 of spades.

One guy (all lin on flop) catches his flush on the river.
Second guy (sidepot) finishes his straight (playing 69o) on the river as well.

Sometimes you're just going to lose [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2005, 12:16 PM

Raising PF might have defined the hands for you a little, but I'm not sure if you could have escaped either way.

However, you made a bad read- "He isn't the type player that would not raise in the BB with a pocket pair"

Evidently he IS the type, sometimes...

Unless you had a really strong read of a flopped overset or made straight (THAT is the hand I'd be worried that the BB had, given your erroneous read of him and the limping preflop), it's really tough to walk away from your bottom set in this situation.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:43 PM

You'll never get away from a hand like this if you slowplay it. Betting = information.

I make more big laydowns in my home game than anyone else I play with - and if you bet out and then re-raise the BB's raise....you begin to have enough information to assess BB's hand. Once he raises you twice I'd CONSIDER dumping BOTTOM set --- or atleast trying to get the cheapest showdown possible. Very read dependent though. I was going to fold my set to a suspected higher set exactly once, but I quadded the turn. So I stacked the poor guy who flopped top set.

You have to view lower sets as possibly (rarely) beat already...giving you one out.