Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Starting requirements for a home game

Hi, i am going to play a few 5-handed NLHE home tournies tonight. 1500 starting chips, blind structure v similar to PStars SNGs (20 min levels). I will be playing with 2 loose aggressives, 1 loose passive and 1 tight aggressive player. Please could you give me some ideas on what starting hands to play? Thanks
Old 10-27-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Starting requirements for a home game

Do you have any ideas on what you think might work, on your own?

I don't know about the Stars structure, so I can't comment.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, i am going to play a few 5-handed NLHE home tournies tonight. 1500 starting chips, blind structure v similar to PStars SNGs (20 min levels). I will be playing with 2 loose aggressives, 1 loose passive and 1 tight aggressive player. Please could you give me some ideas on what starting hands to play? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Your starting hand requirements vary greatly based on who you're in the hand with... the position...etc. First, try to figure out what each person will be willing to play with... the LAGs will be the toughest to figure out. If Player A always raises to protect his small pairs then know that you can call, then bet any big card on the flop to scare him off...etc.

KEY POINT: I would try to sit with the LAGs to your right.

STARTING HANDS: This really depends on the texture of the game. Is it a laid back fun game, or are you guys playing fairly competitively? When you're five handed I'd play pretty aggressively.

Early Position I'd open raise with any pair over 7's... any broadway...etc.

Late position: I'd limp with any suited connectors... or any A or K suited. Raise any pairs.... etc

You're going to be opening up a lot here... I'd even play any A or K to be honest....just be willing to toss your hand in if you feel you're outkicked.

Reraise the LAGs liberally when you have strong holdings... lean on the Tight passive... and respect the TAG
Old 10-27-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
blind structure v similar to PStars SNGs (20 min levels).

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that this really has very little bearing on what you might expect. The 20 minute levels on PStars see a LOT more hands than you will playing in a home game.
Make of that what you will, but don't be surprised when you don't play as many hands per level.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:31 PM

Open with any two broadway, play carefully after the flop. Trash A9 and less unless suited, in which case limp for a flush or weak ace. Play carefully. Open with any pair 55 or better, be willing to lay down 88 (read dependent) and reraise push with 99.

Limp open a maximum of three times during the evening (not a set number, just for an idea of what kind of hands).

Fold more than your share until you're 12BB or less, then be willing to get allin with things as weak as KJs preflop. Get allin after the flop with any two pair, be VERY wary of TPTK.

Play a lot of cheap suited connectors and one-gappers, the occasional two-gapper w/position.

Slowplay any set that you flop, push hard on the turn if a non-straight/non-flush high card comes, someone is likely to have a match for a TP situation.

If in position on LAGs, check through more flops than normal, if out of position, check raise more than normal.

Top two is normally a monster in these games, some players would have to literally show me thier straight to get me to fold.

gl, and whatever you do, be GRACIOUS when someone calls your flop allin w/K7o, TPNK and rivers two pair to crack your AA. GRACIOUS, DAMMIT!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that this really has very little bearing on what you might expect. The 20 minute levels on PStars see a LOT more hands than you will playing in a home game.
Make of that what you will, but don't be surprised when you don't play as many hands per level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I predict a MAXIMUM of two buttons per blind level, even five handed.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:57 PM

Reduce req's against LAG's, push out Passive players and respect the rocks, this pretty much covers all the games you'll ever play. Pretty easy, especially if you can identify each before the game begins or during the first lvl. Try not to go bust too early and you should cash.

JMB

PS Careful of overbets from LAGs and other bad players, make sure you're playing correct hands with correct odds.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I predict a MAXIMUM of two buttons per blind level, even five handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funniest part is that ...at least when we play 10 handed in our home game the hands take more than 50% of the total time (compared to the shuffling)....

In a 5 handed game, shuffling will take up more time than actual play...
Old 10-28-2005, 09:37 AM

A very easy fix for the "shuffing eats time" problem is to run two decks. We don't need to anymore as our game has settled in nicely and the dealer knows to pay attention and get the hand cranked out.... but early on we kept a 2nd deck in the small blind at all times.

The SB can shuffle the deck and have it ready so when the hand is done the deck is collected by the BB and the SB passes the deck to the right to be cut, then cards are in the air again almost immediately.