Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 02:29 AM

Default DRUNKEN PLAY

Does any1 have an effective way of making sure they don't play when they are drunk. Seems like about once a month I'll get drunk then think its a real good idea to move up like 3 limits and start playing crazy. This has been my major ongoing problem and I'm wondering if any1 else has had it too.
Thanks.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:31 AM

Default Re: DRUNKEN PLAY

Make your password something so complex that you can't possibly type it while drunk.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:32 AM

Turn your computer off before you go out.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:36 AM

Drink in moderation?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:02 AM

I have a huge problem with this. You just need to work on self control and self discipline so often in your day to day sober life that it works even when you are drunk. This is a real problem for poker players who like to drink and i dont think there's an easy solution.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:26 AM

thanks for the sincerity...this has been the leading factor contributing to me not being able to move up in limits as quickly as I would like to. I think if I consciously make note of its importance I can minimize it and hopefully stop it completely.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:35 AM

One thing i tried with moderate success was not playing after 11PM. I know the games get better then, but I also tend to get drunker then.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a huge problem with this. You just need to work on self control and self discipline so often in your day to day sober life that it works even when you are drunk. This is a real problem for poker players who like to drink and i dont think there's an easy solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha ha ha, you are SOOOOO not qualified to respond to this thread. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Wanna play Chinese Poker?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 11:29 AM

I let myself play... but only at the lowest limits possible. It's actually kinda fun to spew chips at party .50/1.00 or to play like a complete and total maniac in 2 $5/1 SNGs

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 12:26 PM

This can be an absolute bankroll destroyer. Nothing better than getting really trashed and deciding to show those 15/30 bozos who the man is. Been there done that.

You've got two choices.

You can take steps while sober to prevent yourself from playing when you are drunk. I used to have my girlfriend change my password. She would give it to me the next day. This works if you live with somebody you trust who gives a [censored]. There are other tricks you can use. I used to put my mouse in my glovebox or trunk. If I didn't make it home in my car I wasn't going to be able to play. If I did make it home usually just the fact that I sat down at the computer and my mouse was still in the car helped me slow down and think about things a little better.

Your other choice is to deal with your drinking. I used to be a hard core drinker. I was more or less a functional alcoholic. It's a powerful drug man. If losing your poker bankroll is the worst thing that happens to you from abusing it you are lucky. Self control and moderation works for some people. Some people can't touch it at all. If your drinking excessively on a regular basis you need to take a break. If you can't take a break on your own you need to seek help. You can PM me if you want to talk about this.