Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Wondering about this river fold...

I can't see how you can fold on the river.

Apart from the fact you're getting 9-1, we know little about the villain (supposedly sensible from a small hand sample) so surely a call is necessary.

There is only one ace unaccounted for ace in the pack, meaning the chances of villain holding it are very slim.

Having hit top pair, I would probably bet on the flop to try and see where I am and take it from there.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:14 PM

You are right about the river calling being closer than first glance. A flop donk really isn't good for the same reasons a flop c/r aren't. What will most better hands do in response to a flop lead? What about worse hands?

WiteKnite
Old 10-19-2005, 06:17 PM

I like the WA/WB line but I disagree with your thought that KK would not raise this river. If villian is unaware of the WA/WB line it seems as if you most likely have a Q here. He is probably thinking that with the last A, you assume he does not have an A and therefore think your pair of Q's is the best hand and are worried the river will get checked through.

I think I would have called this river but from your hand range (which I agree with), I think it is very close and the only hands I see raising this river are KQ/KK/Ax/bluff. A fold might not be horrible but I don't like to donk the river and then fold.

Lozing
Old 10-19-2005, 06:24 PM

Some things to consider: when your opponent has an underpair here, if he/she will dump it to your checkraise, then you should be checkraising A high flops with underpairs, i.e. if you raise 88, get 3 bet then checkraise an A high flop and go from there. If your opponents always call down then checkraise the A high flops holding an A. Since your opponents at 3/6 may not 'be able to fold' as much as at higher games, then the value-checkraise assuming their calldown is better.

I find mixing it up to be worthwhile. At 20/40 people will like checkraise an A99 or Kxx flop with something like QTo against a preflop 3 bettor who has shown a tendency to 3-bet a lot of pairs knowing that this creates tough decisions for the raiser. This strategy can be quite good if you mix legit checkraises with bluffs. When I'm holding 77, I 3 bet preflop and get checkraised on a K24 flop, I face the prospect of readily paying off a K or folding to air.

Just some thoughts.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know how correct this range is, but from the flop 3 bet i was thinking AA-TT, AKs/o, and AQs/maybe off.

After the action on the river, JJ and TT seem really unlikely. I don't know how probably I think KK is, since I'm clearly thinking about it from this specific hand. We're getting 10:1 on the river call. If he plays AK/AQ/KK the same way, clearly an easy call. I guess I was thinking he wouldn't raise KK...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd add AJ for sure, and i've seen a lot of three betting with Ax (x being less than J) as well...there's no way i fold the river.

cheers
Old 10-19-2005, 07:04 PM

I would never fold this river, but I think it is a leak. It seems like everytime I call a raise like this I am shown a better hand. Good fold.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I was thinking too. He claimed to have KK after the hand and didn't believe I had an ace, so it got me questioning my play a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arg, posting results like this will mess up your advice. I think it was a good fold btw.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:35 PM

I wish I would've waited too, it just jumped out of me when WiteKnite's post was exactly my thinking and why I was posting the hand.