Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 04:28 PM

Default The Big Game

Sorry if this has been posted before, here's an article for the $100,000/$200,000 big game between Dolye Brunson, his gang, and Andy Beal. linky

The way I see it, the only big and guarantee winner is the IRS.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: The Big Game

Old news -- Doyle turned Andy down (that letter's from about six weeks ago, not sure why ESPN's picking it up now), claiming that the eighth stipulation ("The game will begin on April 10th...") was too soon after when Andy sent the letter.

IIRC, Barry commented at that point that it was more likely that both sides wanted the video rights (still), and weren't willing to budge. Barry's suggested compromise, that the loser gets the video rights so that they can either recoup some of their losses or burn the negatives (if they were embarassed), was unacceptable to Andy.

I haven't heard anything since mid-April, though. Anyone actually hear any new news?
Old 05-14-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: The Big Game

last time this came up i made a comment that the video rights may be worth almost as much as beal could lose. i was shot down.

however, whether he sells it to a network that can make 15 shows out of it, or produces it to DVD or perhaps both, the footage is worth a fortune.

it does not surprise me that this is all of a sudden an issue. i know doyle says the start date is the issue, but nobody wants to admit the value of the footage. if this were filmed by professionals from day one, they could get $40mil back. hell, they could do a 2 hour show on the genesis of the bet alone. then an hour show following each and every player. they could have 12 hours of video production in the can before th first card is dealt.

for all these reasons, i still have confidence this will happen. just lots of posturing left imo.