Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 02:11 PM

Default AJ, TPTK Party 3/6

Villain was 20%/6%/32/35 at time of hand. How many raise it on the turn? How many let it go? I am not sure how I played this.

Party Poker (9 handed)

Dealt to HERO[ Js Ad ]

1 folds.
2 folds.
3 calls [$3].
HERO raises [$6].
5 folds.
6 folds.
Villain calls [$6].
8 folds.
BB calls [$3].
3 calls [$3].

** Dealing Flop ** [ 7c, Ts, Jd ]
BB checks. 3 checks. HERO bets [$3] Villian raises [$6]. BB folds. 3 folds. HERO raises [$6]. Villian raises [$6]. HERO calls [$3].

** Dealing Turn ** [ 7h ]
HERO bets [$6]. Villian raises [$12]. HERO calls [$6].

** Dealing River ** [ 5h ]
HERO checks.
Villian bets [$6].
HERO calls [$6].

Sorry for the jacked up translation.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: AJ, TPTK Party 3/6

Whats the pre flop action?
Old 07-13-2005, 02:19 PM

converter = broken.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:37 PM

The hand has now been edited, all comments welcome.
Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:44 PM

I think you need to three-bet the flop. I see little advantage of stopping-and-going here over simply three-bet/leading. The pot is heads-up so there aren't really pot-size manipulations issues to worry about. A flop cap may also allow you to get away from the hand most cheaply. Waiting to check-raise the turn I think is also a bad play because allowing the turn to check through is pretty disastrous.

I see little reason why not to play this hand in a very straight forward manner.

I think you should strongly consider folding the turn, unless you have a very aggro read on your opponent. I think three-betting the flop might make this decision easier, as a turn raise following your flop three-bet might be a little more indicative of strength, as you would appear less likely to be making a move.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:14 PM

After being capped on the flop and being raised again on the turn after leading, I would fold. Judging by the cold-call pre-flop i'm thinking villian made a set on the flop and filled up on the turn, or he passively played a big pair pre-flop. Maybe a bit too narrow of a read, but I can't see many hands he plays like this that we beat as I don't think he would take QJ,KJ or even AJ this far.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:24 PM

I did not notice the flop cap from villain in my previous post. Hero was correct to three-bet the flop, but the cap and the turn card (which can only hurt hero), a turn check-fold may be in order unless villain is a known aggro.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:35 PM

Turn seems like a good spot to get out. Bet/fold.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:36 PM

Jesus. Check call the turn and river.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:43 PM

OK I see a problem with folding to the turn raise.

When you're raised on turn the pot contains 11BB or so. Is it reasonable to think we have 4 outs here? The 2 remaining jacks are outs (provided the villian doesn't have one). The remaining aces are outs if the Villian has QQ,KK, or JT. I think the decision is close considering the times we're drawing dead to JJ, and spliting with AJ. Remember, while unlikely, we could still be ahead if he's overplaying KJ or QJ. While that chance is slim, I think it has some value.

Now again he's another problem if we call the turn raise are we going to fold the river for 1 bet in a 13 bet pot? Probably not.

Before we bet on the turn the pot contains 8 BB, if we assume we need to call 2 bets to see a showdown, we're calling 2 to win 10. Do we think we can win this hand more than 20% of the time? If anyone want to help me do the math of his likely hand distribution It would be appreciated. But I think we'll win this pot at least that often.

Therefore I would call this down on the turn and river. I know this type of passive play is not well liked on these forums, but in this case I think it might be the best play.

Feel free to call me a wuss for wanting to call this down, but it's one I would go with.