Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 04:00 PM

Default trouble with middle pairs (77)

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
3 folds</font>, Hero calls,2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls,1 fold</font>, BB checks.
Should I have raised preflop being first in the pot??

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.
Should I have bet out here?

Turn: (2.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, BB folds.

River: (4.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](2 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB
Old 12-27-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: trouble with middle pairs (77)

I wouldn't raise preflop, and probably just check the river.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:05 PM

It's kindof eeh for raising at this point--any later than that and I'd certainly raise, here I'd say flip a coin. Not sure how the poster will affect this though--he's more likely to call of course, reducing the odds that you get it shorthanded.

I think I check the river to induce a bluff--if there weren't a possibility of a busted flush draw I'd almost be tempted to check/fold given that there's not much he could have that you beat (assuming he's sane) and the pot is still very small, but he might have that draw so I'd call it. As it is, he's not calling with anything you beat.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:24 PM

I tend to get passive with middle pairs. I'll pay one or two bets to see a flop but there are few situations that will make me take it past the flop. If I don't hit the flop I will hang on to them if they are top pair or if the pot was raised and the flop comes raggy. If it is checked to me in late position and the flop is paired with low cards I will bet out to try and get rid of big aces. Other than that I dump these to any bet on the turn, they just don't improve enough, or hold up enough to make them worth playing.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:15 PM

Results: HERO shows 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] a pair of sevens.
CO shows 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] two pairs, eights and threes.
CO wins $5.75 from the main pot with two pairs, eights and threes.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:29 PM

&lt;grunch&gt; The way I play on a table with no reads is much the same as you. Call preflop. Check if I don't hit the set or over pair to the board. Bet if no previous action, assuming a scare card doesn't hit (three to a flush on board, ect.) then usually check the river rather than bet. Just my perspective.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:38 PM

I agree with wizard, check/call the river.

this is a lousy board, with 3 overcards to your pair by the turn. it's hard to bet the flop, since there are a lot of weak Ks and some 8s that will call you down. depends on the table i suppose
Old 12-27-2005, 05:47 PM

This is one of those situations where you are only going to get called by a better hand.

The other guy has to have a pair on the flop, there is only one possibility that doesn't have you squashed.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:53 PM

77 is a borderline hand for me...in this case I'd raise it. We're first in, in middle position, and I have a strong dislike for letting posters see the flop for free. Whenever it's marginal, I tend to raise if there's a poster in the hand, especially if they will have position on me postflop.

I like your turn bet, but I agree with Eeegah, I'm not betting this river...we're getting called if we're beat and he's likely folding if we're ahead.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of those situations where you are only going to get called by a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice, but misapplied here I think. It's .50/1 on Party Poker. I wouldn't be surprised to see a "but they were suited" player calling 5.5-1 odds here, or an AQ, AJ, AT or even something like QJ, or A-rag.

Long story short the amount of times you aren't behind and don't get out drawn on your bet are very small on a rather small pot. Even if you were last to act I'd be hesitant to bet. Any thoughts on that?