Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 07:22 AM

Default \"World Poker Tour: All-In Holdem\" Strategy Question

Ok this has been bugging me for awhile. According to Wizard of Odds the basic strategy for 59s is to go all-in (being a hand bad enough to try to bluff but not so bad to fold). So why is 59o only a raise? I would think it too should be an all-in (or a fold even). 59o is clearly a worse hand than 59s. The expected returns are posted as well and the numbers seem to suggest that 59o is indeed a raise while 59s is all-in. What am I missing?

I lost my notes on the perfect strategy that David posted in the newsletter months ago so I can't compare.

Vlorg
Old 12-06-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Re: \"World Poker Tour: All-In Holdem\" Strategy Question

Maybe 95s has enough equity against calling hands that it's worth it to push all-in because even if called you are in okay shape due to suitedness.

With 95o, you want to raise to fold out the dealer, but if you move all-in, you don't fold hands that make up for the equity loss of putting in 5 more BB when you get called.

If you only raise 5x, the dealer will call with some hands 95o leads, like 76o. If you move all-in, you fold those hands and end up in horrible shape against the others. If the dealer isn't folding, it's better if you may be a favorite or at least aren't putting in so much money.