FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 03:40 PM

Default What\'s grunching?

I didn't see this term in the FAQ.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: What\'s grunching?

Here's the link my friend:

Grunchcan Challenge

Basically, it is thinking through a hand and posting before you read the other replies.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Grunchcan Challenge

Basically, it is thinking through a hand and posting before you read the other replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know what that meant either. Isn't this what everyone does?

What is the point of typing this anyway? Does anyone care that you didn't read the replies???
Old 11-14-2005, 04:16 PM

Very cool. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Grunchcan Challenge

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know what that meant either. Isn't this what everyone does?

What is the point of typing this anyway? Does anyone care that you didn't read the replies???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a lot of people do this - but by saying *grunch* and posting before you read the other replies you are telling everyone that this is what you think and that you have been unbiased by others. I do this so that someone with more experience might look at my replies differently and offer some critique if I'm off base so that not only does the OP get something out of thread but I (and hopefully others) do too.

If you combine grunching and the Wookie Challenge you will find your game improving through the more in depth knowledge you gain. You may get flamed more (I know I do), but that is how you learn.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:38 PM

I think the point is that this way if someone says the same thing that another poster previously did you know why. You should try to come up with the answer on your own and sometimes you will come up with the same thing as someone else. If you write down what you first think then you can get feedback about your answer. Some people decide what they'd do and then look at the posts to see if it's been said. In doing so, you will sometimes change your answer. If you grunch, you can get feedback from your initial thoughts. At least that's why I do it.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you look like an ass if you type something that's already been written 15 times. It is really helpful, though, because it forces you to think through the problem yourself.

My favorite is when people who obviously don't know what it means will post:

[ QUOTE ]

*grunch*

Like everyone else, I think you should fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Genius. Pure genius. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 04:53 PM

My favorite is when people who obviously don't know what it means will post:

[ QUOTE ]

*grunch*

Like everyone else, I think you should fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Genius. Pure genius. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't go quoting my posts without giving me credit. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you look like an ass if you type something that's already been written 15 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don't look like an ass. The OP would realize that 7 people have said the same thing, and would probably assume they are correct.

If you see someone already posted the "correct" play, and you just leave it, how is OP supposed to know that that is correct info? Aside from you just quoting some previous poster, which IMO really makes you look like an ass.

People rarely say the same thing anyway man. Everyone has nuances in their points that may pique the OP's interest.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you look like an ass if you type something that's already been written 15 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to quote you twice but I have another counterpoint.

If saying something that has already been said makes you look like an ass, then how does typing "Grunching" help? You are still re-stating, as well as adding a silly word along with it...