Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Official Micro-Limit October Goals

As I'm sure most people know, setting goals for yourself is a good way of motivating yourself to accomplish something that you want to. That said, there are a few guidelines that you should follow when you're making poker-related goal

Never to make a $$ related goal. Because poker is such a long term game, you are sometimes just not able to win as much as you would like in a given time frame. I have gone through multiple 200BB downswings, and really there's not much you can do about it. So try to make goals pertaining to the number of hands you want to play if you want this kind of a goal. What I do is guess what my winrate is, figure out how much money I want to make, and then make my goal to play however many hands it will take me to win that much. But once you have done this, FORGET ABOUT THE MONEY. Your only concern must now become getting the hands in. I think that hands goals are usually the most important ones (at least for me) so everybody should have one.

There are a few other goals that I see that you should consider making.

1) Reading goals: Self-explanatory. Pick a poker pook or two that you need to (re)read. This type of goal is especially helpful for n00bs, anybody looking to expand their knowledge, or anybody who is lacking confidence.

2) Moving up goals: These are not too common, as moving up depends on a few things such as confidence, bankroll and exerience. These goals are not a good idea for too many players. They are best left to veteran players who have a very good idea where they are in their game, and what it's going to take to hit the next level.

3) Specific game aspect goals: These are goals that focus on a specific aspect of the game. An example of these would be working on isolating loose raisers, hand-reading, or calculating pot odds. These types of goals are a good idea for everybody and can be tied in nicely with the reading goals.

4) non-poker goals: These are (can you guess?) goals that are not related to poker. Some non-poker goals include banging at least 3 bitches, reading a non-poker related book, or challenging somebdy who pwned you in a LL sidebet to some sort of rematch.

Let me know if I left anything out, and good luck making your goals
Old 10-01-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Official Micro-Limit October Goals

My goals are:

Take a shot at 5/10 6max after 4k more hands of 3/6 and at least 400 BB in my account

Play 5k hands/week when playing 3/6, 3500 hands/week if the majority of the time it's at 5/10

re-read HPFAP and take the time to actually digest everything

I have noticed that my stats when I'm 2-tabling are much better than when I 4-table. I am going to try and focus more when 4-tabling and get back to some basic hand reading and adaptation. If I am not able to do this, I will remove 1 or 2 tables (though I'll only be 2-tabling when I move to 5/10 anyways).

change my [censored] avatar

go and completely destroy the 2/5 game at Brantford for my friends's 19th
Old 10-01-2005, 07:02 PM

Awesome, dude. This is even better than what I had in mind when I mentioned starting a goals thread in the NC thread.

My goals:

1. Buy and begin reading King Yao's book.
2. 10k hands of 3/6 6 max
3. Spend time reviewing at least 400 hands of my own per week. I don't review my own play nearly enough, and I tend to only review hands that bugged me. I need to go looking for errors not only in the expected places.
4. Pwn the MLL.
5. Figure out what to do with the two friends who both want to do me, with whom I'm only about 10% to get away with doing both, and whose friendship I'd rather not be responsible for breaking.

Edit: I had asked for your goals, and then you posted them while I finished my reply. No longer necessary.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:05 PM

1. take the 50 dollars that i have on my PP Acount and try to build a bankroll for 1/2 ):
Old 10-01-2005, 07:06 PM

my goals are:
1) to finish TOP and inside poker mind
2) play 80 hours at least
3) pwn 3/6 and stay there
4) clear some juicy bonuses
5) make 300 posts
Old 10-01-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
change my [censored] avatar

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy and begin reading King Yao's book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a poker book? If so, what's it called, and what does it cover?

[ QUOTE ]
Spend time reviewing at least 400 hands of my own per week. I don't review my own play nearly enough, and I tend to only review hands that bugged me. I need to go looking for errors not only in the expected places.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great goal. I will be doing the same.

[ QUOTE ]
Figure out what to do with the two friends who both want to do me, with whom I'm only about 10% to get away with doing both, and whose friendship I'd rather not be responsible for breaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only answer is to do both at the same time. That way they both get what they want and it becomes a bonding experience for them.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:21 PM

1) Read TOP, which I just got, and actually take the time to compare the information in the book to my own play and well I am or am not doing in relation to each topic.

2) Get my bankroll healthy again and move back to 1/2.

3) See where I am losing value when I have made hands or big draws. Recently, I have only been reviewing the sessions where I was a big loser. I need to look at the rest of the sessions to see where I missed value, which would have lessened the blow of my recent downslide.

4) Get my blog set up (my little brother has been pushing me to do this for months).

Finish re-watching Okamoto's "The Sword of Doom" and write a blog entry that discusses the symbolism used throughout the film as well as an entry that discusses Ryunosuke's motivation and whether or not he is in fact "evil".
Old 10-01-2005, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome, dude. This is even better than what I had in mind when I mentioned starting a goals thread in the NC thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I wasted my pooh-bah post putting a $5 bounty on shill, so I thought I'd actually contribute something for once.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:30 PM

Excellent post.

1. Play 60 hours.
I've been really slacking lately. I need to get back on the horse after I withdrew everything in my online accounts in July after two horrendous nights in a row. I didn't play much in August and September was a big negative month of running bad.

2. Get King Yao's book.
I saw somebody mention it in HUSH and it looks like it would help.

3. Figure out how to pass my last graduate class.

4. Learn more about lifting and stick to my gym schedule.

5. Stop being so lazy and just watching football on Saturdays and Sundays.

6. Post more replys and stop being afraid to be wrong and look dumb.