Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Yet Another Post on Tipping

This may have been covered a ton before, but I haven't seen anything on it, and I really don't have the time to do a search... I suck at searching on the 2+2 thing anyhow.

When it comes to tipping, why must it be a percentage of the bill? Shouldn't the tip amount really be related to some combination of total time of service and quality?

Why should the waitstaff get the shaft when I choose to order a very cheap inexpensive lunch meal? Similarly, why should they benefit when I order a fine lobster meal? Assume that in both cases I am talking about the same restaurant.

Certain unmentionable games have a tipping component. The usual tip is some flat amount... like a dollar.

Today, I went to a Thai restaurant that had a special Pad Thai lunch special for $3.99. No way am I only going to tip 60 cents for what was adequate service. So, I tipped $2 on a $4 meal (tax not included). Now, if I had chosen to order their Seafood special, a measly $2 tip would have been frowned upon.

Why does it work this way?

I really haven't much of a point, and I just wanted to rant a bit about the lameness of current tipping etiquette. I am a good tipper... typically start at 15% and go up or down depending on service, but it would be rare to get a 10% tip from me, as that would indicate truly poor service.

What you all think?

-RMJ
Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Yet Another Post on Tipping

Closed Thread