Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 02:42 PM

Default About: $11: am i a sloppy vagina?

No one marked the thread for moderation, but a user PMed me about it. I did nothing originally because the thread had good strategy content. What would you all do?
Old 12-13-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: About: $11: am i a sloppy vagina?

Link?

edit: nevermind, didnt see it there
Old 12-13-2005, 03:49 PM

You can always just edit the title and leave a note.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:31 PM

I'd edit the title. I've probably made very similar posts in the past. It's slightly offensive towards women, but the only legit beef you could have with it is the word "vagina".
Old 12-13-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one marked the thread for moderation, but a user PMed me about it. I did nothing originally because the thread had good strategy content. What would you all do?

[/ QUOTE ]
If 2+2 wants women customers then this is bad. Bad for business and bad because everyone deserves to be treated with respect. I would like the poker boom to expand into new demographics and become permanently established as mainstream entertainment. Stuff like this turns many casual participants off.

I would edit the title and leave a note to educate the community that this isn't allowed. Second offense gets a warning PM.

OP of the subject thread inadvertantly made a very important point. He didn't mean any harm, but he did it because others were doing it and he wanted attention for his post.

That's what happens when you let this slide. It gets worse and even becomes an arms race to make ever more shocking titles to attract attention.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:00 PM

Durron, send Mike a PM to fix the title, leave a note, and send it back into the fray, assuming you agree with the advice here. There was legit discussion in there, so I'd hate to see it killed.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Durron, send Mike a PM to fix the title, leave a note, and send it back into the fray, assuming you agree with the advice here. There was legit discussion in there, so I'd hate to see it killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thread was pretty much over anyway. I'll let Mike look at it when he gets to it and he can decide whether he fixes the title of all 35 posts or not. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 04:17 AM

I think this sort of title should is pretty unacceptable for a lot of reasons. Not only is it pretty obviously misogynistic, but it's also just kind of ugly and makes the forum look generally kind of classless.

I think it's totally acceptable to change such titles and I don't think I'll have a problem doing so in SS for exactly that reason.

Can the "editing for decorum" approach apply also to the content of posts? For example, I've noticed the use of the term "gaybet" to mean "donkbet" used every once in awhile in Small Stakes and I usually make a comment about it (in my pre-mod days). I think it's just an ignorant (as well as kind of vague) term that has a much more standard and well-known synonym. How would people feel about making changes of terms like "gaybet" within posts. Often such usages are in posts with good strategy content and from otherwise good posters so any harsher way of dealing with the problem would probably be detrimental.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this sort of title should is pretty unacceptable for a lot of reasons. Not only is it pretty obviously misogynistic, but it's also just kind of ugly and makes the forum look generally kind of classless.

[/ QUOTE ]

All this was true, but the reason I let it slide to begin with is that the post was pure strategy. I think in the future I'll change the title as soon as I see it before get it gets 35 posts.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:21 PM

I saw the thread after it got moved, poor Mike had to change every post to remove the title. I'd be tempted just to delete to save that work alone.