Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 12:59 PM

Default PP 10/20. I went too far with these jacks.

I was very close to folding to the reraise on third. I'm pretty sure that was the correct move. Anyone else fold third? My four kicker is both worthless, unrelated, and dead...

I played this whole hand poorly IMO. Calling when villain makes the open pair is debatable. I remember thinking "I have an overcard kicker", but then refraining "a K is not an overcard to his obvious buried aces"

Villain was pretty straightforward. There wasn't much chance that he woud be holding an AK4 3 flush or (A4)4. Also, I have the other four, with reduces the possibility of him folding (A4)4 even more.

I called 4th because I picked up the K. I called fifth because I still had the K and then I picked up a 3 flush to go with it. I called sixth obviously because I had a 4 flush. I checked behind on the river because I knew that villain wouldn't fold anything that beat me.

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

Seat 1: $193
Seat 2: $424
Seat 3: $234.96
Seat 4: $449.50
Seat 5: $415
Hero: $374.36
Seat 7: $601
Seat 8: $1.471.50

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (9.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds

5th Street - (6.90 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (8.90 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (10.90 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (10.90 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $215 | Rake: $3

Seat 1: [ Ac As 4d Jh 4c Ts 9d ] [ two pairs, aces and fours -- Ac,As,Jh,4d,4c ]

Hero: [ Jc Js 4h Ks 2s 3s Ah ] [ a pair of jacks -- Ah,Ks,Jc,Js,4h ]
Old 11-23-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: PP 10/20. I went too far with these jacks.

Yeah, this is pretty close. Whether or not you can play depends entirely on what you think villains range is. You already mentioned that he wouldn’t raise with 3-flushes, so that leaves 88, 99, TT, the unlikely JJ, QQ, KK (3 ways) and AA. So it still looks like you can play - you’re ahead 18 times, dead even once and behind 15 times. Besides, he might be getting fancy looking at those upcards, you never know.

Once he re-raises, you’re obviously behind.
Raising 4th is okay if you think the 3rd guy will usually fold.
5th is a pretty clear fold though. You can count the 3 remaining kings as 2 outs maybe, so with the last jack you have 3 outs. Doesn’t look so good, does it?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:22 PM

Third is fine, sometimes you just run into a better hand. Fourth I'd just assume call as its so likely I'm behind when he makes it $30 on third. That and the fact that after calling $30 on third the player that you're hoping to raise out might not go. Oh ya, you could very very likely just get reraised as well. That would kinda blow. But as for fifth.........

[ QUOTE ]
5th is a pretty clear fold though. You can count the 3 remaining kings as 2 outs maybe, so with the last jack you have 3 outs. Doesn’t look so good, does it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on. I can fault third or fourth, but your call on fifth was really bad.

Mike Emery
Old 11-23-2005, 02:24 PM

Snowball,

As you said, his play indicates big pocket pair. With that info, I like your play on 4th. Once his pairs on 5th, I think you've got to release.

BTW - any progress on your bet with Sklansky??

- Mac
Old 11-23-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As you said, his play indicates big pocket pair. With that info, I like your play on 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming that he has a bigger pocket pair than his Jacks why do you think raising is the optimum play?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Assuming that he has a bigger pocket pair than his Jacks why do you think raising is the optimum play?

[/ QUOTE ]

As my hand posts indicate, I may raise to limit the field in too many spots. Maybe this is one of those cases. I just like raising one small bet to push Seat 7 out (although the reraise would suck). I know what Seat 1 has, so I can wait to see which one of us makes two pair first. If it's Hero, two pair likely takes down the pot.

- Mac
Old 11-23-2005, 07:34 PM

Certainly call 3rd.
Call 4th, but a raise is not in order.
Fold 5th.
Call 6th.
Fold river if he bets.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right on. I can fault third or fourth, but your call on fifth was really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agreed. To tell the truth, I was steaming a little at the time. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I let the 3 flush + K "overcard" trap me on fifth. I really don't like that he had one of my jacks. How big should the pot be before fifth becomes a close decision?

Cheers,
Snowball
Old 11-23-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Snowball,

As you said, his play indicates big pocket pair. With that info, I like your play on 4th. Once his pairs on 5th, I think you've got to release.

BTW - any progress on your bet with Sklansky??

- Mac

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my thoughts on fourth was "ok, if I raise and get reraised then the rest of the hand becomes a crapshoot and I'll have to chase, which is bad." Unfortunately, I ended up chasing anyway [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I agree fifth is terrible.

I think I'm goint to win the bet vs. Sklansky. Things aren't going well with the girl in my class. She's getting really deep into the spirituality industry of yoga, etc., and spending a lot of time working on dubious theater/film projects pro bono. Its like we live in two different worlds.
Have you ever heard that Beck song on his album Mellow Gold called "Nightmare Hippy Girl"? Sometimes she reminds me of that song.
On the upside, it looks like I'm going to be 100 dollars richer. Maybe then I can afford to make more fifth street calls like this one. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Snowball
Old 11-24-2005, 04:21 AM

Basically what this guy said.