Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 12:57 AM

Default anyone here ever drive drunk? c\'mon... admit it! (you morons!)

a bar buddy asked me today what the stupidest thing i've ever done was... i had to think, as i've had a few (dozen) doozys... but I decided on:

Driven drunk. once, when i was 19. never again.

not because i haven't done dumber things, like drop out of school to be a ski bum, or snort methamphetimines {only once), but because that was what he was about to do (drive). I mean, C'mon, if you're drunk enough to think about driving in that condition, you're drunk enough that the cab fare's not gonna hurt. i made my point, i think.

he is passed out on my bean-bag chair as i type this. all is well.

...because knowing is half the battle... Gooooo Joe! (i am a little drunk, too, btw)
Old 10-14-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: anyone here ever drive drunk? c\'mon... admit it! (you morons!)

I have driven drunk, was not proud of it and certainly do not plan on ever doing it again.

EDIT: Luckily, I wasn't so stupid drunk that I was swerving all over the road and I got home in one piece without hurting anyone, but I certainly don't think I'll do it ever again.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:11 AM

Did it a few times in high school. Never so drunk that I couldn't keep my car under control. Had I known the repercussions of a DUI I never would have. I'm surprised they didn't tell us about all the consequences in driver's ed. Instead they just showed us pictures of mangled bodies...meh...I see that on TV everyday. If they told me if I got a DUI I'd be financially [censored] for a long time I would have never done it.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:13 AM

I've done it too many times to count, and even while quite drunk felt I was in decent control. But judgment's the first thing to go, and I'm sure thinking I was driving okay and kind of safe on the road had a hefty helping of illusion in it. I kind of regret it now, even though that sounds a bit stupid in a way, since it can't be undone and no harm ever came. I just regret being that stupid not with my own life, but with the lives of others. Heck, I could have killed a whole family or something. Hard to get happy after that one.

I'm glad I grew out of that particular form of stupidity.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:27 AM

Yes but never, ever again.

Interesting statistic - In 2004, 42,636 people were killed in traffic crashes in the US. 16,694 (39%) of those victims were killed in alcohol related crashes. Compare this to 1982 when 60% of all fatalities were alcohol related and I guess we're moving in the right direction.

The percentage of alcohol related fatalities to all traffic fatalities hasn't gone up year-over-year since 1991. This is fairly good, but I'd still say that 39% of 2004 fatalities were needless and preventable. Source

My mother was killed by a drunk driver on Oct. 19, 2003 around 3:00 PM. She would have turned 60 on the 20th.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:28 AM

interestingly enough, the last time I drank and drove home drunk has been the last time I drank.

I really envied Manhattan people - you never have to drive anywhere - that rocks.

RB
Old 10-14-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I grew out of that particular form of stupidity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Took jail to snap me out of it. Came around the curve, and saw that roadblock, and I was like, "This is a wreck, right? I'm just gonna be waved through."

"Need you to step out of the car, sir...."

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 01:30 AM

How the hell else are you supposed to get your car home? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yep, used to do it all the time...really stooopid but I was young and indestructable then. Now I rarely drink enough to get drunk.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:40 AM

the one time i drove REALLY drunk...

freshman year college. met a republican hottie at a party with a handle of JD- we spent the evening supressing the sexual tension with spirited, whiskey fueled debate... killed the bottle, she passed out.

I was drunk enough to think i was sober enough to drive the 1/2 mile home. I got about 100 yards before i had a flash of clarity and pulled over, threw my keys out the window to avoid the temptation, and passed out.

ugh. i swear i still get a headache even thinking about the next morning, crawling around the shoulder of the road, dehydrated, choking on exaust of passing commuters, looking for my keys.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:43 AM

The worst experience I ever had driving drunk wasn't actually when I was driving drunk, but when I was too drunk to realize that my friend wasn't sober enough to be a designated driver. Thankfully, nothing serious happened, but when I woke up, hungover in the backseat of my car parked outside my friend's house the next morning, I had a couple of messages on my cell phone from friends who wanted to make sure I had survived.