Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-13-2005, 12:05 AM

Default Satellite radio - XM or Sirius?

My wife and I are finally taking the plunge, and subscribing to satellite radio. What are the relative advantages and disadvantages of the two satellite services, XM and Sirius, and which one do you like better, and why? I know Stern is moving to Sirius in a month or so, and while I like him I like Opie and Anthony on XM even more, so Stern being on Sirius is not going to make me choose them unless they're also better in other ways. Please help us to make an informed decision here, because on the surface I don't see a lot of difference between the two services. Thanks.

--Scott
Old 12-13-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Satellite radio - XM or Sirius?

What sports do you like? If you like any other than baseball, you might want to get into Stern.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:10 AM

http://www.radiosatellite.org/

That site should help.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:13 AM

Sirius, no question. All NFL games, baby!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:22 AM

My favorite sport is soccer (specifically English Premier League, European Champions' League, and World Cup/European Championships), but I'll admit it doesn't translate to radio very well. XM apparently is going to be broadcasting the World Cup Finals this June, but since it seems like it's going to be on one of their channels that is -normally- Spanish-language I'm not sure whether it'll be any use to me since my Spanish is about at the level of a 3-year-old. (I'm fluent in German and Russian so either of those 2 languages would be OK.) Apparently, though, they sometimes pre-empt channels for special events like that (my friend who has XM tells me that their Electronica channel has been pre-empted in favor of Xmas music until the day after Xmas, for example), so maybe it'll be English-language. If it is, that's a big plus in favor of XM. If they carried regular English Premier League matches, they'd be a slam-dunk, right there.

Baseball, I think, is the sport that lends itself best to radio coverage, and I WAS, at one time, a big baseball fan. I fell away from the game (although I still pay tangential attention) after that horrible strike in 1994, and never really came all the way back. Since I was (is??) a Blue Jays fan, that was probably exquisite timing anyway, since it's been all downhill since Carter's HR. If I had a service like this where I could listen to EVERY Blue Jays game, though, I might be convinced to get back into it. Never been a NASCAR fan and probably never will be. Hockey is my 2nd favorite of the "big" sports in the US, but both XM and Sirius have it so I don't think there'd be much to choose from there, unless one service or another exclusively carried all the Sabres games or something. I don't dislike the NFL, but it's my fourth favorite form of football behind soccer, rugby union and Aussie Rules, and I don't really follow any one team, so that's a strike against Sirius I guess.

Of course, my second-favorite sport is cricket (from living in Australia for 5 years), which no US satellite radio service will carry, ever. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

--Scott
Old 12-13-2005, 12:23 AM

Scott,

If you love MLB go with XM. If you want NFL or other sports, plus Howard Stern go with Sirius.

I went with Sirius - very happy customer.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got my sirius working, had antenna issues with the boombox, instead I got the home docking kit and put an antenna on my roof.

3 BARS BABY

car works fine too, I had to make a custom mount for the docking station but it's goot.

sirius and howard all the way...

only con is that I can't get reception in my offce b/c there aren't that many sirius terrestial repeaters yet...I'll have to wait until they either build more or spring for the $250 portable device that records 50 hours...
Old 12-13-2005, 12:34 AM

xm

opie and anthony

nuff said
Old 12-13-2005, 12:37 AM

I've had XM for 6 months and would say it is worth it for the baseball alone
Old 12-13-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sirius and howard all the way...

[/ QUOTE ]

dude is a haaaack

down with hoo hoo howie

o&a 13min mp3 talkin on the stern to sirius deal