Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 03-04-2005, 01:20 PM

Default WPT past wed.

Ok i cant rememebr the guys name but it was the comedian that had 89, i believe , against Scotty. He hit top pair on flop and called the bet of scotty's. The next card was a 9 and i believe it was check check. The next card was an 8 which gave him the best full house. Now here is my problem. He did what i consider to be the right play, he bet it out on the river being first to act and scotty folded. Now this is what i dont get, Mike Sexton said he thought he shouldve checked and gave his opponent a chance to bet the pot, but i mean come on you cant just give someone behind you a free chance to see what you are holding and what a waste of a full house it wouldve been. Any comments on mikes stupid remark on playing a hand?
Old 03-04-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: WPT past wed.

Gabe Kaplan was his name and he had Q9 against Scotty who had JT. Flop was 89x, giving Gabe top pair and Scotty the straight draw. Turn was a 9 and river was a Q. I agree with you that I think would had to have bet the river. If I knew Scotty had nothing but J high, sure, I would let him bluff at it, cuz he's not gonna call any bets. But thinking he had anything at all, he had to bet it.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:27 PM

Sexton is often very results-oriented in his critique.. however in this case he was probably right.. a smaller bet would have been better. Gabe played very weak-passive at this final table.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gabe Kaplan was his name and he had Q9 against Scotty who had JT. Flop was 89x, giving Gabe top pair and Scotty the straight draw. Turn was a 9 and river was a Q. I agree with you that I think would had to have bet the river. If I knew Scotty had nothing but J high, sure, I would let him bluff at it, cuz he's not gonna call any bets. But thinking he had anything at all, he had to bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you flop was 98x and the river was a Q and Scotty had JT, he had a little more than "J high" by the river . . .
Old 03-04-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you flop was 98x and the river was a Q and Scotty had JT, he had a little more than "J high" by the river . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't. The board was 985 9 8. Sexton was saying that Gabe should have checked to let Scotty bet at it. I think this was based on the idea that it's hard for Scotty to have a calling hand but he could bluff at it or might have an 8.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:43 PM

Because of the very coordinated nature of the board it more unlikely than normal that Scotty would not have a legitimate hand (and more likely that if Gabe has have something that Scotty can't beat it). Because of this it is more unlikely that Scotty would have a hand which could call a bet on the river - therefore it is a higher EV for Gabe to check in the hopes that Scotty will take a shot at the pot with nothing or a marginal holding.

Think about it from Gabe's view. Does Scotty have a 9? Nope, there are three from the board and Gabe's hand. Does Scotty have an 8? Nope, there is one on the board and one in Gabe's hand - plus it came on the river so it's even less likely Scotty has one. So is Scotty going to call a large bet with overcards? A small pair? Meh.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:00 PM

Yeah, my bad, wrong full house. River was an 8.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but i mean come on you cant just give someone behind you a free chance to see what you are holding

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you rather make some money or protect this big secret? Who cares if he can see what you're holding?

[ QUOTE ]
and what a waste of a full house it wouldve been.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he made so much more the way he played it?

[ QUOTE ]
Any comments on mikes stupid remark on playing a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking here is unquestionably more profitable than betting, and betting small more profitable than betting large. The way he played it guaranteed he wouldn't make any more money. Scotty may well have been able to fold an 8! But he could not have called without an 8 or a 9. It was a horrible bet.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:49 PM

I just see no point in checking on the river period i mean i watch people all the time chase or make a big hand and then check it down and look like morons not getting anything out of the pot and there was no way scotty was gonna bet at that pot, from a guy who check calls the whole time he has to have something thats why i liked him switching gears and betting out. Checking is not the right play in my mind
Old 03-15-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just see no point in checking on the river period i mean i watch people all the time chase or make a big hand and then check it down and look like morons not getting anything out of the pot and there was no way scotty was gonna bet at that pot, from a guy who check calls the whole time he has to have something thats why i liked him switching gears and betting out. Checking is not the right play in my mind

[/ QUOTE ]

Try looking at things another way:
1) SN has nothing
a) GK bets, SN folds
b) GK checks, SN may take a stab
2) SN has something (like an 8 or an overpair)
a) GK bets, SN maybe calls
b) GK checks, SN very likely puts something in the pot.

Either way, checking looks like a better option than betting, given that the board is double paired.