Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Set on a Coordinated Flop

Loose table of medium aggression.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (14 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Was the stop 'n go okay here?
Old 03-03-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Set on a Coordinated Flop

Here's my approach: Hopefully, someone can tell me I'm wrong so I learna little too.

I cap the flop. Even if you're behind, you've got outs to improve and I think you're getting the best of it if you get 3 people to put in 4 bets on the flop with you.

Even with that line, I still think you can expect to get a check raise on the turn as well.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:41 AM

I'd cap the flop. Even if you're behind a made straight it isn't a very big mistake at all to cap. And you likely have the best hand in which case capping is definitely correct.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:44 AM

I think PF is a fold considering the SB structure of 3/6. Assume BB calls half the time. You're getting 22.5-5 on your call which is about 4.5-1 so I think you should fold.

Definitely cap the flop. Even if you're behind a straight it's for value because you're just a little worse than 2-1 to boat up by the river.

An argument can be made for check/raising the turn, but I hate missing bets when I have the near-nuts and there are a couple people committed to a showdown.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:24 AM

I'd cap the flop as well. Even if someone made the straight, you have 7 outs on the turn and 10 on the river.

The way you played the flop, I'd consider a check/raise on the turn. You'll get MP2 and MP3 in for one bet in a big pot. Hopefully, MP2 will be and MP3 will raise again. You'd probably lose UTG. The way it actually went with MP3 folding to a single bet, it may have worked out just as well with the stop and go. Too bad a club didn't hit the river [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2005, 11:39 AM

Preflop: Hero has $1 in and needs to call $5 more - with about $23 in the pot - assuming that BB and limper call. About 4:1. With only one limper and the raiser I might consider folding this here. Definately going to need to set to win. Preflop comments anyone??

Flop: I am all for capping the flop here. It is likely someone else is pumping the heart draw or have a made straight - if a heart hits on the turn hero can check call and have 10 outs to boat/quad on the river. You are frequently going to beat (and get paid) by both straights and flushes with your set.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:44 AM

i don't mind the stop and go here on the turn. an 8 is not an unlikely holding for either of them, so you can expect at least one of them to play back at you a good percentage of the time.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:48 AM

Hi Colgin,

Even if one of your opponents flipped over T9 and showed it to you, you should still cap this flop for value. I'm not entirely sure why you wouldn't feel this way either.

I have a feeling you thought you might be behind a straight, which is another matter all together. Look at the action in the hand. You bet. You get raised by MP2 which is perfectly natural since he is the pfr. He can have any wide range of hands all of which you crush. Even though MP3 3-bets you, you should still not fear a straight as there are only so many combinations of them and a wider range of hands he can 3-bet with.

So suppose the turn did not pair. It would be terrible for you to start playing your hand passively here. Not only do you have full house outs, you are likely ahead to begin with.

So to summarize, you should have capped the flop and you should have auto-bet any turn as well.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Kailia
Old 03-03-2005, 12:02 PM

FWIW, I know that "standard" odds that people look for with pocket pairs are about 5:1, but I think Colgin is good enough and his opponents are bad enough at an interenet low limit game that he'll be fine calling here every time. Let's face it, the BB is gonna call this almost every time anyway.

Cap the flop, as everyone is saying. There are a lot of draws here, and people will pay multiple bets to see them.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I know that "standard" odds that people look for with pocket pairs are about 5:1, but I think Colgin is good enough and his opponents are bad enough at an interenet low limit game that he'll be fine calling here every time. Let's face it, the BB is gonna call this almost every time anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.