Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-20-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Curtains Hand - Early Position Push/No Push

[ QUOTE ]
I agree pushing isn't terrible here. My move would probally be to fold and call a push in the bb next hand.

If I push here I will be called by a hand that beats mine. If I call someone from my bb, I could easily find myself calling an any 2 push from a desperate shortstack or loose large stack, which will be ok considering my odds.

Maybe it's also better for image. You are kind of expected to call from your bb, but pushing with J7 UTG shows you are capable of pushing trash.

I'm not sure you have much FE at all. Shortie in the bb, another shortie who will have an itchy trigger finger, and a couple of large stacks who might challenge a UTG push from a shortstack.

There's also always the chance that your BB is folded to you.

No matter what you do it's a $hitty situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

J7 is an average hand. Next hand you may have a worse one. You will be forced to call bets from hands that will on average be stronger than the hand you have. Saying the short stack will be pushing worse hands than normal is irrelevent as you have no choice other than to call regardless of your hand. They have a choice so will weed out the very worst hands that they will move with. Their range will always be better than yours.
By pushing now you have some FE, not much, but 100% more than you have leaving it until the next hand.
Push
Old 12-20-2005, 01:40 PM

curtains,

Do you push this if it's soooted?

Yugoslav
Who is serious...
Old 12-20-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
curtains,

Do you push this if it's soooted?

Yugoslav
Who is serious...

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely
Old 12-20-2005, 05:02 PM

Without seeing the entire HH I can't be certain, but it seems to me that a mistake was likely made in a previous hand. A hand that should have been pushed that wasn't. Being UTG with less than 4 BBs in a never a situation you want to end up in. Folding sucks. Pushing sucks. I doubt it makes much difference. I'd love to see the last 8 or 9 hands of this tourny, see how curtains got into this predictament and get his comments. Can we do that?

moses
Old 12-20-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Without seeing the entire HH I can't be certain, but it seems to me that a mistake was likely made in a previous hand. A hand that should have been pushed that wasn't. Being UTG with less than 4 BBs in a never a situation you want to end up in. Folding sucks. Pushing sucks. I doubt it makes much difference. I'd love to see the last 8 or 9 hands of this tourny, see how curtains got into this predictament and get his comments. Can we do that?

moses

[/ QUOTE ]

Kill me now. Like youve never had a situation where you just happen to have only 3.5x the BB. Nope, obviously I must have made mistakes earlier. I hate this argument when its used with low stakes player, please God don't use it on my games.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:06 PM

oh... i don't know.... every made a +EV call that didn't work out so well and end up with a small stack?

seriously dude.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:08 PM

btw I looked at the previous hand and found one probably small mistake, but its basically irrelevant. Everything else was just kind of normal. Quite honestly I get into a situation with under 5x the BB very often as does anyone else who plays well. It's not a death sentence, sometimes you just have to hope to get a good hand, as you never have a chance to steal or your hands are too weak and your steal equity is too small.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is like a top 20% push. J7o isn't even close. Hell A7o is a fold here too IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding A7o here would be horrible.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:34 PM

I was having a bad day today, even A7o isn't unexploitable. But they need to call above 27% to make it bad, which is just not happening.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was having a bad day today, even A7o isn't unexploitable. But they need to call above 27% to make it bad, which is just not happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares if it's exploitable or not, anyway. Even if it's clearly -$EV, I'm still pushing A7o here.