Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-19-2005, 01:43 PM

Default 2/4: AK, A Free Showdown for QTip...

I played this hand at ReadyEddie's house, so I don't have the exact history on me. Villain was a 30/10/2.5 type. I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure it's good.

I open with AKo from MP and it's folded to villain in the BB who calls.

Flop is JJ4r. Villain bets, I call.

Turn is a Q. Villain bets, I ask Eddie, "Are you ready for this?" and raise...
Old 12-19-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: 2/4: AK, A Free Showdown for QTip...

Compared to calling down, we're charging ourselves to draw versus 66. (It's possible Villain won't fire with that again on the river, opting to check-call instead -- or maybe even check-fold, if he gets counterfeited.) And if Villain will fire the whole way with A7s, we'd prefer to let him keep doing that (though it wouldn't be a tragedy if he folded his kicker and chopping outs, especially since he might not really fire again). Also, there is some chance he's really got a jack and persistently going for a bet/3-bet line.

However, as compensation, I think you've got some good fold equity versus the marginal part of Villain's range. And, if behind, you could have as many as 16 outs.

I have trouble figuring out when to make free-showdown raises. I think I like this one, though.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:55 PM

a free showdown raise is good when:
1) there is a chance you have the best hand
2)you have some outs to improve to the best hand (therefore if they call you can fire on the river and win 3 bets instead of 2, but if you miss you still only pay 2 bets for the showdown: same as calling down)
3)FOLD EQUITY, villass might fold a lowpair or a hand that has 6 outs against you.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:16 PM

I don't like it at all when the Q hits. I don't think you have much fold equity and you could have 10 outs = you can't fold to a 3bet. Just call down if you are not going to fold.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2)you have some outs to improve to the best hand (therefore if they call you can fire on the river and win 3 bets instead of 2, but if you miss you still only pay 2 bets for the showdown: same as calling down)
3)FOLD EQUITY, villass might fold a lowpair or a hand that has 6 outs against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check, check, and check.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:40 PM

Default A free showdown raise with QJ (semi LC)

A LC addition to the free showdown discussion that has been going on....

Party Poker 10.00/20.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(2 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (4.00 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.00 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (7.00 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7.00 BB.
Results in white below:<font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 3s 2s (a pair of sixes.)
Hero has Jd Qh (a pair of sixes.)
Hero wins 6.95 BB.
</font>
Old 12-19-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: A free showdown raise with QJ (semi LC)

Hobbs,

I think this is a terrible spot for this play. How often do you think that Q high is going to win at showdown? If you are going to semi-bluff this, I think you have to bet the river - wouldn't you feel foolish if he took the pot with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? (yeah, I know you said LC... I'll stop now)
Old 12-19-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hobbs,

I think this is a terrible spot for this play. How often do you think that Q high is going to win at showdown? If you are going to semi-bluff this, I think you have to bet the river - wouldn't you feel foolish if he took the pot with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? (yeah, I know you said LC... I'll stop now)

[/ QUOTE ]
Some thoughts on this hand as I actually like my play and think it is kind of interesting....we are playing HU so this guy is going to be open raising with all aces and most kings, thus I don't need to worry about him having Ax[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or Kx[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] most of the time. The second thought is that given the board texture and the preflop action this guy has a flush draw or nothing SO often that Q high figures to be the best hand here a lot.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hobbs,

[/ QUOTE ]
Some thoughts on this hand as I actually like my play and think it is kind of interesting....we are playing HU so this guy is going to be open raising with all aces and most kings, thus I don't need to worry about him having Ax[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or Kx[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] most of the time. The second thought is that given the board texture and the preflop action this guy has a flush draw or nothing SO often that Q high figures to be the best hand here a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops - I completely missed that this was heads-up. Given that, and your read that this guy is agressive enough to raise any K or A, then I like the play a lot.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check, check, and check.

[/ QUOTE ]
yep that was my point. NH. i dont get this misconception that a free showdown play is only good if you can fold to a 3 bet. wouldnt you like to bet the river if you are going to fold to a 3 bet and just get called?