Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 11-22-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Freerolling

How do I figure out when im freerolling vs another player? (note - when freerolling headsup, you want to put the maximum amount of bets in)
Old 11-22-2005, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Freerolling

Have him show you his hand? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I think I'm missing the point of this question.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:22 AM

Yeah not quite sure about the question but I will take a stab:

You are free-rolling when you have the current nuts and any draws that hit leave you with the nuts.

So, as an example, not long ago this hand happened to me (in limit):
I have AKs, 2 other players have AKo.
Flop comes TJQ with 2 of my suit.
Capped every street. I hit my flush on the river- take down a nice pot.
That is an example of free-rolling.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:33 AM

I guess the only true way to know is to go all in and get called. When you guys turn the cards over, then you will know. Sorry if this answer sucks.

BTW, heads up on a SNG I was in BB with J7 and flop was 8 9 10 with two clubs. I bet get raised and push. Villian had J7clubs and was "freerolling me"
Old 11-22-2005, 01:51 AM

you: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

opponent: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

You have a flush freeroll. No matter what cards come you will at worst chop, but a spade will give u the win. Simple example, there are tons.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You are free-rolling when you have the current nuts and any draws that hit leave you with the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a good definition that is easily enough applied
Old 11-22-2005, 02:51 AM

Here's an extreme example. You have the red aces (Ad Ah) in hold'em. Your opponent has black aces (Ac As). You can both say you are free-rolling because you both have the "nuts" and you both can outdraw the other by the definition. But you'd both be wrong.

Or you have Jd Td in hold'em again. Your opponent has Js Ts and the flop is 9d 8d 7s. The JT of diamonds is free-rolling the flush right? Not so fast, the JT of spades can still hit runner runner with his three-flush and throw you on tilt.

Free-rolling is when you can't lose and you have extra chances to win.

Like when you get an entry into a tournament with a prize pool at no cost. Or you have the same hand as someone else with the only flush draw in hold'em.

Actually, after you buy-in for the tournament... say a $50 entry... you've already lost that $50 everything after that is a pure free-roll. So every time you are in a tournament you are free-rolling!

Another example: A table is letting you bull the game, steal the blinds and the small pots. Theoretically you are free-rolling the times you are called with the chips you've already earned. This makes it seem like your play can't lose. And in an infinite time span you can't lose if you are free-rolling this way. In this way Doyle Brunson describes free-rolling which makes him appear lucky. But he is and he isn't.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:28 AM

To all the responses: I know when I was freerolling after the fact. I just wanted to be able to better figure out if I am freerolling during that very hand and that very moment, so I can play accordingly.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:02 PM

This is the most common example in Holdem (a straight with a draw to a flush). This is not all that important in Holdem. In split pot games, this is much more imporant and its where lots of your profit comes from.

For instance, say you are playing stud8 and on 5th street you have

23 5 6 A

and there is the villian with

XX K Q 9
Villian now has no chance to make a low hand, and you already have a low hand so you will at worst split the pot with the winning high hand. But you have a chance to make the winning high (with an inside straight draw). In this situation, you should jam the pot at every oportunity (bet on every street) and if you hit your straight you scoop a hugh pot. If you miss, you chop.

In Omaha you can usually tell because its all about making the nutz on the board, so its a common occurance where 2 people have the current nutz for high, but one of the two has so many redraws the better hands the s/he is the hugh favorite (and its typically correct to muck your made nut hand if you think that is the case).
Old 11-22-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do I figure out when im freerolling vs another player? (note - when freerolling headsup, you want to put the maximum amount of bets in)

[/ QUOTE ]

Asking how you can figure out when you are freerolling is like asking how you can figure out exactly what someone else's hand is. Nobody can answer your question.

The best you can do is hope you have the nuts on the turn with a redraw when someone starts a raising war with you.