Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 04:23 AM

Default Re: Aficionado\'s Of Poker Chips, Kem\'s, Copaq\'s.

Does anyone display their poker chips in a china cabinet in their dining room?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good One!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What is the point? Maybe I need to go to sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is the point of a nice expensive car?
a turcell will get you to work, why a porsche?

what is the point of a top of the line road bike?
a middle of the road ten-speed will do the job

why buy a $2000 suit?
when a $400 off the rack looks pretty sharp.

personally, i am not really that interested in any of these things. although i would love to drive a porsche or play with paulson. i have other high-end interests of my own to spend my cash. really, the point is what gets you off.

cheers,
the Real Macoy
Old 03-09-2005, 10:29 AM

I can give you a good legit reason. It helps keep a home game going. The players in my game like to have the nice 'trappings' when they play. I think I get a great turnout every week (a waiting list usually) because it's fun to play in my game. It's fun to play with nice chips and cards on a nice table. It's makes people feel like 'players' and it's fun to be a 'player'.

Poker should be fun and home games are at least partly social too. The days of plastic chips and crap cards and smoky backrooms are gone. If you want to have a successful game you need to put a little effort into it.

Be a good host and people will go out of there way to attend your game.

Rob
Old 03-09-2005, 10:51 AM

excellent point...some people are going to take more pleasure than others from certain chips, cards, etc....it can't hurt
Old 03-09-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Busted. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Ten

Old 03-09-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reading some posts and replies regarding Poker Chips, Cards etc... Do you guys actually play poker, or just get off by having bragging rights that I own "The same kind of Chips that Tenpercenter has." (No offense to you Ten)Ten has (more or less) declared that he is a Poker Chip "Aficionado"

Have you ever heard, or have any knowledge that a "Pro" has ever said, "I wont play in this Tourney because the Chips Suck." Have Ya?

The "Guys" that play in your home games are there because you have "Pretty Poker Chips and Kem Cards?" or are they there to Play Poker, kick ass and take your money!?

I would take a poll but dont know how. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Ten-could you set one up? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I can't even think of a tangible reason why I buy nice chips. It can't be for bragging rights, because NO ONE knows that they are expensive! The people with dice chips truly think they have THE BEST chips that can be bought.

It's not to keep people coming to my games, because the chips do not matter. I play "away" more often than I do at "home." Every other home game I've been to uses dice/suited slugs. Every one. Well, there's one guy that has Jack Daniels commemorative chips, but you get the point. No one else I play with has better than bargain basement value chips, and no one cares.

So what's the reason I want better chips? I guess I just like them. It became a sort of hobby really. I've played poker my whole life, since I was a small child. I wanted something of value that my grand kids would KNOW was important to me when I'm gone. For MY grandfathers, it w as a rfile or a shotgun that was handed down. I don't hunt. So for me it's really nice poker chips, in the Egyptian theme (my favorite), with my family's name in heiroglyphics. What better?

Ten
Old 03-09-2005, 12:00 PM

I have found this difference of opinion in every hobby that I've had over the past years:

Darts - "cheap" metal shaft darts vs. tungsten shaft darts
Cigars - Average domestics (Hoyo De Monterrey, Sancho Panza, La Gloria Cubana, etc...) vs. Super Premium domestics (Ashton VSG, Opus X, Padron Anniversario, etc...) or all domestics vs. Cubans
Poker - Plastic cards vs. paper, plastic chips vs...you get the picture.

It's all a matter of personal preference and I usually end up somewhere in the middle of this struggle. I may buy a Super Premium or allegedly get my hands on a cuban, but if my enjoyment of the product does not equal the cost, I will not buy it again. Half the fun of these hobbies (for me) is exploring all the different nuances and choices of them and with regards to poker actually makes me a better poker player. I don't just like to play poker on poker night...I like to read everything I can about it, I like to get a new poker toy here and there...I'm basically consumed by this current hobby to the point where I've neglected all my other hobbies and THIS is my advantege over most of the people I play against who just like to play it...while I like to take in everything about it
Old 03-09-2005, 12:27 PM

Ten...."You Da Man!!" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what's the reason I want better chips? I guess I just like them. It became a sort of hobby really. I've played poker my whole life, since I was a small child. I wanted something of value that my grand kids would KNOW was important to me when I'm gone. For MY grandfathers, it w as a rfile or a shotgun that was handed down. I don't hunt. So for me it's really nice poker chips, in the Egyptian theme (my favorite), with my family's name in heiroglyphics. What better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post.

The personal satisfaction is a good enough reason. I don't have Paulsons, or any of the super nice chips, but I'm jealous of those who do. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Heck, I just bought a set of Copags a couple of days ago. I have a nice set of Kems already. Did I need to buy Copags? No, but I just wanted to check them out, so that was reason enough for me.