Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Paulson Chip Maintenance

So I ordered up some of the new Paulsons from Apache and after having the samples for a couple days I noticed the white and orange get dirty really quick. Is there a way to clean them? A friend of mine told me not to clean them because it adds character to them but I think they look much better clean.

Also I thought I read somewhere about applying 3 in 1 oil to them when they are new, whats the deal with that?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Paulson Chip Maintenance

I recommend mineral oil, unscented. Lightly rub with oil-moistened terry, wipe off with clean terry.

I haven't tried this method to CLEAN the chips, but it works great for brightening and conditioning.

Ten
Old 03-05-2005, 12:45 PM

Don't use 3-in-1 oil. That's petroleum based and you won't like the result -- they'll smell forever. And don't use any kind of cooking oil.

I use mineral oil and am happy with that. Some people say baby oil, but I've never tried that. Mineral oil has almost no smell. You can get it as butcher block or cooking board oil, or even knife honing oil.

Of course (just like your labels) the inlay doesn't need oil, only the exposed "clay."

Once they are oiled they become more durable and the surface doesn't absorb so much dirt & grime. There are other threads around talking about oiling chips (sparingly!).

As far as cleaning, I use some mild dish soap in lukewarm water, and just rub the chips with an old toothbrush -- but don't soak for more than a moment. You want to remove the grime but not the underlying oil.

I don't like them pristine new -- I'm looking for a used look and feel, but not excessively dirty.

- - tomb
New Orleans
Birthplace of Poker
Old 03-05-2005, 05:47 PM

Quick and brite works best when it comes to cleaning chips. I have not found a more mild tough cleaner than this.

The 3in1 oil in the other post was used to clean a TRKING defect and shouldnt be used on normal chips.

Check this link too
http://www.ccgtcc.com/cleaning.html
hope that helps.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:50 AM

Hope this link is helpfull.

http://www.oldvegaschips.com/chipcleaning.htm
Old 03-06-2005, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the info guys! [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2005, 11:58 AM

I couldn't find Quick'n'brite locally so I used a product called "ZAP" which I had bought years ago at Sams Club. It worked great! I just diluted it as directed (20/1 ratio) and used a soft toothbrush to apply it to the chip. On the tough grime I rubbed with my fingernail a little.

Here is a before and after shot:

Before

After
Old 03-06-2005, 07:04 PM

Wow, looks like Zap might work better than Quick and Brite!
The only thing Im wondering is how strong Zap is? Because 409 works wonders on chips, but after a couple of days, you can see what it does to the chip, the chip almost corrodes away from the solution.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, looks like Zap might work better than Quick and Brite!
The only thing Im wondering is how strong Zap is? Because 409 works wonders on chips, but after a couple of days, you can see what it does to the chip, the chip almost corrodes away from the solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually that picture was taken a couple of days after I cleaned my chips. I diluted the ZAP quite a bit and applied it sparingly on all but my dirtiest chips. Those took a quick dunk for about 10 seconds in the liquid before hitting them with the toothbrush. I have heard that some of the other cleaners (like 409) can cause hot stamped chips lettering to change from gold to silver. My Imperial Palace Chip hasn't been affected at all by the ZAP.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:19 AM

good to hear, I might pick some up!