Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Q9 in the big blind

I'm not real sure about any part of this hand.

MP2 was loose and passive before the flop, but seemed to pick up the aggression afterwards. Not overly aggro though.

MP3 seemed weak tight up until this point.

(I only have a small number of hands against these two.)

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (2.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets...</font>

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Q9 in the big blind

I'd 3 bet the turn.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:02 PM

Looks good except for the river bet. He could have any number of hands with which he would raise and beat you (flush, boat). You're not gonna make him fold a better hand than yours. I check/call the river.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good except for the river bet. He could have any number of hands with which he would raise and beat you (flush, boat). You're not gonna make him fold a better hand than yours. I check/call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. If he beats you he is going to raise and charge you for another bet. If he was on a flush draw he is going to fold without spending any more bets. One more thing: I'm always being careful when a passive player shows aggression.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:23 PM

I don't like any street.

The flop bet is only good if you are gonna win the pot right there, IMO. The pot is too small to fight over and a call will not help you decide how many outs you have. And I would not want to pay 2 bets just to see another club on the turn. Check-fold.

Turn: so you stay in with a tenuous hand, hit it and then don't raise? This confirms that your hand was not good enough to begin with and you should have just folded on the flop.

River: why bet? No one is folding a flush here and you are opening yourself to be bluffed out or making a crying call.

KJS
Old 03-02-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd 3 bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree. Easy.

The interesting street is the flop IMO. What to do if you bet the flop and the turn is 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:34 PM

I wasn't sure about the flop bet, but I thought I had a decent chance to take down the pot immediately.

I think you're right about the turn.

I'm confused by all the river bet talk. I wasn't expecting a better hand to fold; I'm expecting a worse hand to call (or raise), which I think will happen way more often than not. You guys really think KT, K6, or Jx, is folding?

I think the only reason to not bet the river would be if I was planning to check-raise it.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused by all the river bet talk. I wasn't expecting a better hand to fold; I'm expecting a worse hand to call (or raise), which I think will happen way more often than not. You guys really think KT, K6, or Jx, is folding?

[/ QUOTE ]
A river bet given the way you played is not bad IMO. But a turn 3-bet is way better.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A river bet given the way you played is not bad IMO. But a turn 3-bet is way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%, and this was the street I was pretty sure I botched. (I basically weenied out and didn't want to put in another bet until I saw a non-club river card.) The flop bet might not have been the greatest, but I figured if nobody had a decent club or a Jack I could win it right there.

I'm not sure what I'd have done if I had missed on the turn. If only MP2 had called I would have tempted to take another shot at it, but I doubt if I would have. It wouldn't have surprised me to see him call down with very little, and the pot was itty-bitty.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:52 PM

If I were you opponent, I would like your line a lot. Namely I might be raising the turn with something like KJ. If you 3-bet me, I would fold. I would intened to check the river behind, but I just might get curious and call your river bet (assuming that I don't make a boat). Against a typical player, this is not the way to go. 3-bet the turn.

Brad