Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: NEVER use USPS

Quote: have had other things disappear with USPS, doesn't seem as reliable as UPS. I have also had things arrive from USPS opened and/or damaged. Trying to get anything done about it is always like pulling teeth. I especially like the tracking with UPS, always tells you where it is and what day delivery is scheduled. End of Quote.

Your post office or company sucks. With UPS if no one is at your house they will leave it with your neighbor especially if the package is not insured. If you have a rotton neighbor that you dont get along with they can keep the package. It happened to one of my neighbors a couple of years ago. Dang if you do and Dang if you dont. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that it's not the USPS's fault that you had stuff shippped to your business. That's what your home is for. Even if you have a PO box...it's the Post Office, they will hold if for you.

I have shipped items *internationally* (all over, even to Asia) for thousands and thousands of dollars using the USPS and never had a problem. Insure it, track it, and get a signature.

sv

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't have stuff sent home, never anyone there to sign for it. If they keep it at the post office, it closes before I get home from work.

I just need to make sure a signature is required. Plus the fact that USPS is backed by the federal gov, is a disadvantage -- protects them more than us.

Plus, USPS employees carry firearms... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With UPS if no one is at your house they will leave it with your neighbor especially if the package is not insured.

[/ QUOTE ]
In my nice, quite, suburban neighborhood, UPS drops the package on the front porch, doesn't even ring the door bell, and runs -not walks, runs- back to the truck to hurry to the next stop. If I'm not home plus hear the truck, I won't know a pkg. has been left as I don't normally even go to my front porch on a weekly basis. I use a side door to enter and exit and to walk to the street to get newspapers and mail.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With UPS if no one is at your house they will leave it with your neighbor especially if the package is not insured.

[/ QUOTE ]
In my nice, quite, suburban neighborhood, UPS drops the package on the front porch, doesn't even ring the door bell, and runs -not walks, runs- back to the truck to hurry to the next stop. If I'm not home plus hear the truck, I won't know a pkg. has been left as I don't normally even go to my front porch on a weekly basis. I use a side door to enter and exit and to walk to the street to get newspapers and mail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't someone have to sign for it?
Old 03-04-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't someone have to sign for it?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

Some time ago UPS dropped the signature requirement for residential deliveries. They made it an option on the part of the shipper. Then, I'm pretty sure they discontinued signatures for residential deliveries altogether. I'm not sure of the current status, but you could check their website and/or e-mail them. Fed-ex still gets signatures as far as I know.

If I was ordering a valuable shipment of anything I would check it out first. Even if you insure something and are actually able to eventually collect on the insurance, you still might to repeat a several week wait for custom production of your order. For something valuable, I would be willing to pay a little more to mandate a signature, along with the insurance.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:15 PM

Ive always loved USPS. With smaller packages, they often ship quicker, cheaper, and best of ALL thier damage control is great.

The downside is they have the worst tracking system ever.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:44 PM

I have four words for you: Union And Government Employees.

My GF used to work for UPS and RPS - you should hear the stories she'd tell me...

your chips are probably now the property of a guy with a moustache and grey pants.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that it's not the USPS's fault that you had stuff shippped to your business. That's what your home is for. Even if you have a PO box...it's the Post Office, they will hold if for you.

I have shipped items *internationally* (all over, even to Asia) for thousands and thousands of dollars using the USPS and never had a problem. Insure it, track it, and get a signature.

sv

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't have stuff sent home, never anyone there to sign for it. If they keep it at the post office, it closes before I get home from work.

I just need to make sure a signature is required. Plus the fact that USPS is backed by the federal gov, is a disadvantage -- protects them more than us.

Plus, USPS employees carry firearms... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a post office box. Post offices are open Saturday mornings... certainly you can go and pick up your chips and [censored] then?