Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: An unimaginative 17% VPIP, 9% PFR, raises in MP. You have AQo. You...
Raise 10 40.00%
Call 3 12.00%
Fold 12 48.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Failed my first class ever

Convince me it's not the end of the world(or my academic career).
Old 12-16-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Failed my first class ever

At least include a link to a hot chick for crying out loud.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:17 PM

just retake it
Old 12-16-2005, 03:44 PM

question: will this one failure affect my chances of getting into Law school granted that all my other grades are pretty good?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
question: will this one failure affect my chances of getting into Law school granted that all my other grades are pretty good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to guess yes, but hope the answer is "Yes, but there are ways you can make up for it" because I'm in your boat right now.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:01 PM

Yeah this is bad for law schools. I would write a letter to some dean and explain that it was a simple oversight if I was you. Also schedule a meeting with your professor and explain that you were riveted by the class as shown by your good marks and say you really would appreciate if he would consider passing you given the impact of an F. Youd be surprised how often this can work.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I failed the class because I wasn't smart enough to read the syllabus and realize that if I don't pick up all of my quizes from the professor during his office hours then they become zeros.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try to fight this. Make an appointment with your dean.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I failed the class because I wasn't smart enough to read the syllabus and realize that if I don't pick up all of my quizes from the professor during his office hours then they become zeros.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try to fight this. Make an appointment with your dean.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly would you plan to say? "I didn't bother to read the syllabus and realize that I had to do X, Y and Z to pass"? I'm betting most of the students in the class passed, because they picked up their quizzes, and that leaves him with not much to stand on.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At Canadian Universities (and I'm assuming that American ones are similar), each University uses it's own weighting system in judging applicants. Some Universities only take your 10 best marks (which would be great for you), some Universities look at your total GPA (which still isn't horrible for you, provided the rest of your marks are spectacular).

You also have to factor in your LSAT score as well. If you do phenomenal on the LSAT, it may make your GPA almost irrelevant. Just like with other criteria, some Universities weigh the LSAT more heavily than others.

You extra-curricular activities and your charity work etc... are also weighed by many Universities as well. The point is, one failing grade won't sink your chances at getting into each and every law school. It might severely hurt your chances at some, but it probably won't affect your chances one way or the other at most.

Btw...did you talk to the professor after your received your failing grade? It never hurts to throw yourself at their mercy in times like these.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:17 PM

How, exactly, did you fail this class? What class was it? Why didn't you drop it when you found out you were over your head? What level of education are you at?

Btw, the sky is falling, and your life as you know it is over.

Can you say, "ding fries are done"?