Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 01:39 PM

Default I want a new laptop! but 15\" screen seems awful small? Is it?

Even though my vision is fine (at least it was the last time I took a drivers exam),I think the fonts are too small on my 2001FP. I increased them in control panel to "Large fonts" but that doesn't seem to change the size of the fonts on my word processor or in the body of posts like in this forum. I sit about 24" from the screen at my desktop and have never had a laptop before. Is the 15" going to feel right or do I just need to go with the 9300 and the 17" screen? Price is not an issue although I would like to keep the size fairly compact. Speaking of which are there any other 17" laptops that are lighter, still doing 1600 x 1200, that maybe cost a little more?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:08 AM

Default Re: I want a new laptop! but 15\" screen seems awful small? Is it?

Hi......

I have a Dell laptop with a 15 inch screen that has the wuxga which is a 1920x1200 resolution.....

I bought it so that I could have 4 tables and no overlap. The problem with it set at 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 on my 15+ inch laptop screen is that it really is just so small.

I have perfect vision, but with it set at either of those resolutions on the 15+ inch screen it is really tough to see without having eyestrain after a few hours and it makes it tough to play long sessions.

However, I found it to be a big difference when you have at least the 1600x1200 resolution to 4 table. I use to have overlap on my other laptop. After playing 4 tables with no overlap I found that I needed a bigger screen with that resolution since it is a night and day difference to have 4 tables open with no overlap compared to 4 tables with overlap.

So, I kept my laptop, but I went out and purchased a new Dell Dimension 9100 desktop and (2) Dell 2001fp 20 inch monitors so that I could 8 table with no overlap.

Let me say it is the BEST decision I ever made when it came to playing poker online. I love the screen size and playing with no overlap. My eyes appreciate it since its makes a world of difference. My eyes feel normal again after straining to see the 1600x1200 and 1920x1200 resolution on my 15+ inch laptop.

If you can afford to do it and can use a desktop for poker, the 20 inch or bigger screens are the way to go. The money is worth it just for the relief your eyes will feel.

It sounds like you already have the desktop and 2001fp, so if you just want to know if the 15 inch or 17 inch laptop screen will be big enough when the resolution is set at 1600x1200, I would doubt it. I have used my friends 17 inch laptop and it was just ok. It was definitely an improvement over my 15+ inch laptop, but it is hard for your eyes to adjust after you have been on a 20 inch monitor.

That being said, I still use my laptop when I am on my deck enjoying the nighttime breeze, but I usually just keep the regualr resolution, which is around 1200x800? and the tables overlap. I find it to much eyestrain to have my laptop set at 1600x1200 or 1920x1200 and so I just deal with the tables overlapping while I play outdoors.

I didnt mean to ramble, but I hope I helped in some way.

Best of luck,

Lisa
Old 08-05-2005, 11:03 AM

That was exactly the kind of info I needed. I think I will have to go with the 9300 for my eyes even though I would rather have something more compact for portability.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:50 PM

In the market for a laptop myself right now. Is a 17" the largest option out there? I just took a quick look at dell before coming here and it seems so. I 4-table on a 20" desktop and am a bit concerned after reading Lisa's reply about the eye-strain issue. Any additional insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:29 PM

I just got the 9300 in the mail a few days ago, and it is not nearly as large and bulky as I thought it would be. It is certiantly large compared to other laptops, but not overly so, and more importantly it does not weigh substantially more. If you get a decent bag you should have no problem taking it wherever you want.