Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 06:16 AM

Default When to switch from aggressor to caller/folder

What's it take for you to switch from the aggressor to calling down/folding big hands? Lets ignore when the board is single suited and you don't have any of that suit. AQ offsuit has cost me the most money, but I've found I have a hard time playing hands that I've hit well but that don't hold up.

Example hand:
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, 2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, 1 fold</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (12 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 players
SB bets, BB calls, UTG calls, MP2 calls, Hero raises, Button folds, SB 3-bets, BB calls, UTG folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB bets, BB raises, Hero 3-bets, SB folds, BB calls.

River: (18.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB bets, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 24.50 BB

Player ratings:
SB - Semi-Loose-Agressive/Aggressive (208 hands, VPIP 13.94)
BB - Loose-Passive/Passive (67 hands, VPIP 52.24)
Hero - Semi-Loose-Agressive/Aggressive (3260 hands, VPIP 20.92)

I'll put my summation in a reply to this post.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re: When to switch from aggressor to caller/folder

Things I know I should have done:
1. I'm in the cutoff with KQo and 2 limpers. In the future raise here. It helps eliminate some of the guess work (or should)

2. Cap the flop. SB bet out and re-raised my raise. I didn't cap it since I was worried about SB having AK. I completely ignored the BB's action at this stage and was glad he was throwing money into the pot. Since SB was the initial raiser, he may have thought I was on a steal or had K with a good kicker AK, KQ, KJ, maybe KT though I don't think he'd of raised pre-flop with KT.

3. Turn - I kept up the aggression here and don't know if I should have kept up the pressure at this point. SB went away but I'm still up against the BB who got to see a fat pot for only 1 bet. He cold-called a 2 bet raise on the flop so I should have thought K2 or 22 and put the brakes on.

4. River - The J didn't help me and BB hadn't shown any signs of backing off. My eye's kept telling me I had a monster and keep pushing he'll keep paying me off but I forgot an important lesson: You aren't going to get payed off on the river on a hand like this unless you're beat. Simply calling would have been better.

End result: BB showed 66 for a full-house 6's over K's.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:36 AM

You played post flop fine.

On the flop, the call is the best option. You have SB bet out on the turn and trap the field for more bets.

Just calling the river is an option.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:39 AM

Hey Geng-

preface: Wait al little longer to post your results.

As you noted yourself, yes you should have raised with KQo from LP. I too would have probably capped the flop - AK is a concern but he could have plenty of other hands that he would have raised preflop and led out on.

When BB (a seemingly passive post flop player) wakes up on the turn with a donk-raise in the face of mucho aggresion on all the previous streets - I would have just called down from here out. I love our trip kings, but his move is too peculiar to continue raising. I'm seeing the showdown here but I wouldn't continue to raise.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop, the call is the best option. You have SB bet out on the turn and trap the field for more bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kwaz-

I thought about this option as well and I'm not sure why I discounted it (I guess I was thinking that the pot was large but not extremely large hence we should raise). But after your post, I like it.

The flop bet came from our left hence there is an excellent chance we will bet into on the turn.

Does that change how we play the turn when BB donks!
Old 12-27-2005, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kwaz-

I thought about this option as well and I'm not sure why I discounted it (I guess I was thinking that the pot was large but not extremely large hence we should raise). But after your post, I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the flop wasn't rainbow, I would have capped.

But in this case, there isn't really any scare card on the turn that would induce SB to slow down. I'd be pretty confident of him betting out again.