Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Pocket/SA knives

I agree the Leatherman is far superior utility knife when compared to the SA knife. I have the original which I purchased in the early 90's.

Leatherman also have great service. I once broke the plier using it as a wrench in an emergency. The plier was bent out of shape but actually finished the job even though I ruined it. I didn't expect them to replace it but they gave me a complete new Leatherman at no cost. The Gerber multi tool also isn't bad. I have a few friends, who work in the movie industry as armourers, who regularly abuse the Gerbers and swear by them.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:49 PM

I'd invest in a Gerber multi-tool long before I'd invest in a Leatherman, but I have exactly zero experience with Leathermans, and when I was in the service, we'd beat the hell out of our Gerbers and they'd keep doing exactly what they were made to do.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:57 PM

Good info from Slamhound, particularly his endorsement of Benchmade. In my experience these guys make the best knives for the money of anyone. The quality and finish is close to that of custom shops charging silly amounts for their knives. I own a 722S, which is pretty much invincible. I've had it for five years now, using it for all kinds of random cutting and the blade is about as sharp as when I got it.

Swede
Old 12-13-2005, 01:02 PM

I've carried one of these for over a decade now:

Mine doesn't have "POLICE" etched on it though. The blade is just under 4 1/2" long making barely legal for carry in my state. It's quick on the draw too.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:58 PM

I used to carry around a butterfly knife. That's because I wanted to be Two-Bit.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:00 PM

I carry a Leatherman around with me 24-7. I use it just about every day. The only problem is when I travel it's a bitch to hide and some times they take them.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:16 PM

gerber for the average joe. they are easy to sharpen and are light weight and inexpensive. plus good knives. i have one that has skinned a few elk, moose, many deer and antelope, gutted sharptails and pheasnat and still looks and acts new.

i have that benchmade boot knife and although its nice its a bear to keep sharp or sharpen. and i know how to sharpen a knife. it sits in the drawer never to see daylight again.

my leatherman gets used almost everyday but the two knife blades in it arent very good for much.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't mention hunting or anything, that's pretty gay. Do you whittle sticks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant
Old 12-14-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my leatherman gets used almost everyday but the two knife blades in it arent very good for much.

[/ QUOTE ]

The blades are good for small general chores like opening boxes, cutting off insulation etc. Leatherman doesn't really work as a hunting / skinning knife although the small blade works quite well for fine caping if you are prepping the skin as a trophy.

I have found that Benchmade use a weird edge bevel which make their stuff difficult to sharpen. Gerber or Crkt made better general purpose field knives.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:50 AM

You need to talk to this guy. He is the master of knife knowledge and he can probably get you a damn ninja sword for two bucks.

Good ole late night TV.