Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-11-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Help, I\'m getting raped online (long)

Ok. For the longest time, I always envisioned playing online with my fellow 2+2ers and crushing the game, making a few extra bucks on the side. I played homegames for the longest time (few years), crushing it with ease. Too bad internet poker is far, far different.

Phase past the fantasy- I've been getting raped online. A quick background on my online playing-

My friend played PP a while back, lost his inital deposit, and 2 weeks ago, found $20 back in his account. Me and him both played it, running well, and running the $20 into $440 within the first few days. Wow, I thought I was God. This internet poker stuff is pretty easy, even easier than homegames. We divided the bank and kept track of our wins/losses.

Fastfoward a few days. My friend, not a student of the game, lost some money, then tilted, putting his last $50 on black jack party. He lost it all, leaving me $280, and the rest of the account. Obviously this may cause some problems cashing out, moving money through netteller, so I planned on just playing at party until I can get my own netteller/PP account (I think I told you guys this earlier).

Well, this has not been a breeze. Due to the money situation, I cannot get PT until I get my own netteller. The lack of reads I get, plus a nasty run of cards is killing me.

I'm down to my last $100, having lost quite a few buyins over the past few days. I think I'm both getting hit by the deck and playing poorly.

I plan on talking to my parents regarding internet poker/netteller, etc over break, and hope to get my own account. I plan on (parent willing) depositing $500 into party to get a bonus (or maybe you guys can recommend me something else, I'll post when and if I can start my own [censored]).

This is brutal, and in general, today has been brutal. I've lost 4 buyins today, my most in one day. Moving to the NL10 is tough for now, because I cannot access the funds. So I suppose I am going to stick with party. I have been 2 tabling 10 full, buying in shorter to prevent difficult turn/river decisions, to no avail.

I'm guessing I will be told "take a few days break, etc", but are there any more tidbits of advice you guys can help me with? I'm dieing here.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Help, I\'m getting raped online (long)

Orange,
I too am getting raped online. I started out real hot, built my BR too 1000, went to 50NL, got hurt, and am down to 640ish. I too feel your pain. I would definitely suggest a break, and then if you want send me some of your hands and ill look at them im my PT for you so you have some idea of your stats and can look for leaks. You are an excellent player and know the game very well, but obviously something is not right and I wish to help you get back to the good life. YOu have excellent potential and I want to help you succeed, and maybe all you need is a fresh start and a new look on things, which is what im trying to offer you.
After careful thought, I realized that I need to relearn the game, or even initally learn it, as something is not right. Why all of a sudden was a losing terribly with something I once dominated. Over mid-semister break I have decided to re-learn, and if you wanna do it together, Im offering to go along with you.

PM me if interested.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:39 PM

[deleted]
Old 12-11-2005, 11:48 PM

Maybe try Ed Miller's short stack strategy in the NL25 games? While the strategy isn't exactly a goldmine it's a good way to get some expereince and (generally speaking) it's a good way to build your bankroll (albeit slowly). Even with $100 you have enough to play the NL25's using this strategy (it's pretty unlikely you'd go broke with a 20 buy-in short stack bankroll, although don't quote me on that). Until you have an opportunity to fully fund your (own) account it might be your best option.

J
Old 12-11-2005, 11:52 PM

damn dude the nl $25's on party are a joke. in all seriousness, (and this assumes you are actually pretty good at poker), just get a new credit card, take out a cash advance, make a bunch of money, and pay off the card. that way you can both build your credit and your roll. just make sure to pay off the balance asap, i know what a bitch credit cards can be
Old 12-11-2005, 11:58 PM

Take a break to evaluate your game, not just to sit around doing nothing. Post more hands, use good bankroll management, and do not tilt, etc.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damn dude the nl $25's on party are a joke. in all seriousness, (and this assumes you are actually pretty good at poker), just get a new credit card, take out a cash advance, make a bunch of money, and pay off the card. that way you can both build your credit and your roll. just make sure to pay off the balance asap, i know what a bitch credit cards can be

[/ QUOTE ]

I have enough money to deposit. It just depends on the approval of the parents. If you guys havent read the original thread, here it is. This was posted a while back.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:07 AM

yea online poker is not good for the gpa. high school 3.8
collge: 2.1
that being said. I jsut went on a bad downswing took a week off during thanksgiving and redopisited it. Got my confidence back, concentrated on playing 6max and have been running hot at 25ptbb for 8K hands. You seem to have a good understanding of the game from your posts so i would encourage you to play 6max if you arent already. It is more similar to live games as far as action and loosesness. Concentrate on playing 1-2 tables of 6max and i thik you will be on your way. Whatever you do, don't play scared. If you need any HH reviewed or anything just PM and i would be glad to help out.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:51 AM

my advice to u would be this orange. 1)take a few days off, 2)tighten up even more than u already play (it will be more boring, but allow u to pay better attention to reads and get used to the game),3)start playing 6max when u have a proper roll, as these games are lovely.

if u would like, i would be more than happy to review some hh for u. it might help to have an ultra nit review your hands...
Old 12-12-2005, 01:38 AM

I think it might be harder for a live game player to jump into the internet game than just starting at the internet game.
I think the differences between the games are pretty big. On the internet at small stakes you can pass on small edges because you have 6 tables of instantly dealt cards and a larger edge is often right around the corner.

Live games people tend to push smaller edges. The game is not going to last forever, you have a limited time to make some cash, and you dont recive 6 tables of instantly dealt cards so that larger edge might never turn up. Also you get tons of reads and really get to know how the villians play, not to mention live games are notorious for donks.

I think it is possible to pick up lines that might work well in a home game and much less so on the internet. Just a thought, but you might be better leaving a lot of the things that have worked for you in home games behind, and kind of start fresh.