Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Choose your own adventure.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that the issue isn't whether the pot is big or small but *when* it gets big. Your big pair's equity is highest pf and decreases steadily as you go from flop to river (over n hands where n is large - not talking about specific boards here). This means you want to play fast pf and fast on the flop, your aim being to take the pot down without seeing later streets. Trying to keep the pot small pf and on the flop just gives drawing hands and lower pairs the implied odds they need to stay with you. Pot control becomes more important on the turn if the hand lasts that long, as your one pair hand is less likely to be good when all five cards are out.

Obviously all this is highly dependant on specific opponents, flop texture etc. etc. and doesn't allow for making plays but this seems logical to me. I'm open to persuasion though as I don't think I've quite got the hang of this pot control business...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I like that line of thought except that with a hand like QQ against a maniac that can bet all three streets and have any hand at showdown you have to start controling the size of the pot from the start.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that the issue isn't whether the pot is big or small but *when* it gets big. Your big pair's equity is highest pf and decreases steadily as you go from flop to river (over n hands where n is large - not talking about specific boards here). This means you want to play fast pf and fast on the flop, your aim being to take the pot down without seeing later streets. Trying to keep the pot small pf and on the flop just gives drawing hands and lower pairs the implied odds they need to stay with you. Pot control becomes more important on the turn if the hand lasts that long, as your one pair hand is less likely to be good when all five cards are out.

Obviously all this is highly dependant on specific opponents, flop texture etc. etc. and doesn't allow for making plays but this seems logical to me. I'm open to persuasion though as I don't think I've quite got the hang of this pot control business...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I like that line of thought except that with a hand like QQ against a maniac that can bet all three streets and have any hand at showdown you have to start controling the size of the pot from the start.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just bet/raise for value on all streets?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just bet/raise for value on all streets?

[/ QUOTE ]

the op never said the guy is a calling station, just a maniac with a tendency to bluff every street
Old 12-09-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After hero kicks himself for not open pushing the turn, he has to check call. By pushing this river, he gets no better hand to fold so he needs to just get to a showdown. At least checking allows villain the chance to bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would you open push the turn? So he can fold his 99, and call with his AJ?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:19 PM

I dont think we have a huge reason to believe villain has an ace. The ace killed our action on the turn, and villain only bet 1/3 pot. I think villains most likely holdings here are something like JJ or air, MAYBE a flush. If we lead then I think he folds everything but the flush. I dont see villain having two pair with something like A7, but I suppose he could have a set with 77. I think a good bit of the time here villain checks behind with a pair like 1010, but leading will get us no money.

I like check call, or even check raise all in, but I think if we c/r all in the only hand that pays us off is 77, and maybe a strangely played AQ or something.

I think we should check this river to induce a bluff, as for raising a potential bet he makes... why?