Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Thoughts about a TT line...

Reads....

UTG : LAP (very weak-tight post flop - he's your basic definition of fit ot fold)
UTG+1 : sTAG (have only seen him for about 50 hands, but is somewhat tightish pre-flop, and has only showndown decent hands)

$1/$2 Full Tilt 9-handed (full game)
Hero dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP

UTG limps, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>, folded back to UTG, call, call

pot 5.25 BB

flop : A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG check, <font color="red">UTG+1 bet</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>

<font color="blue">The raise here was to buy a free card and to hopefully push out UTG if he has a weak Ace. If I get 3-bet, well that sucks, but at least we could bail UI on the turn.</font>

UTG folds, UTG+1 calls

<font color="blue">OK, looks good so far.</font>

pot : 7.25 BB

Turn : 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks
<font color="blue">free card.. thank you much</font>

River : 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG+1 checks, hero checks

Final pot : 7.25 BB

Seems fairly standard in position. Wasn't sure what to think of UTG+1 checking the river. I can not bet the river for value can I? He holds far more hands that beat me then those I am ahead of even when he checks the river right?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Thoughts about a TT line...

I think that flop bet is I have AQ, a pair of Aces I bet type of bet
Old 12-08-2005, 03:15 PM

I don't like 3-betting with TT preflop. I'd cold-call.

I am just starting to understand these marginal-hand raises and free-card plays, but this looks like a pretty decent spot for one. Hopefully villain will have KQ or some such nonsense, though I imagine at least a J or weak A here for the most part.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like 3-betting with TT preflop. I'd cold-call.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 03:20 PM

I agree that the flop bet into your pf 3-bet is at least a jack, and usually an ace, so I'd just fold it there.

But this is what grabbed my attention:
[ QUOTE ]
free card.. thank you much

[/ QUOTE ]
You really don't want a free card in this situation. A free card is good when you have a drawing hand that is likely behind and you want to improve for cheap. Here, essentially the only reason you're still playing is because you think you may be ahead, since your pocket pair has so few outs to improve. If you raise the flop because you expect Villain to have UI overs, you need to bet the turn here to charge him to draw and not the reverse. You can always take a free showdown if you bet here as well, meaning you put the same number of BBs in on turn/river, but you don't give him a free chance to improve.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that the flop bet into your pf 3-bet is at least a jack, and usually an ace, so I'd just fold it there.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You really don't want a free card in this situation. A free card is good when you have a drawing hand that is likely behind and you want to improve for cheap. Here, essentially the only reason you're still playing is because you think you may be ahead, since your pocket pair has so few outs to improve. If you raise the flop because you expect Villain to have UI overs, you need to bet the turn here to charge him to draw and not the reverse. You can always take a free showdown if you bet here as well, meaning you put the same number of BBs in on turn/river, but you don't give him a free chance to improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point and my draws were pretty slim @ ~3.5 outs if behind.

The more I look at the play, the less I like it....
Old 12-08-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post. Agree wholeheartedly with the whole thing.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:47 PM

Why the long face (read: could you explain the PF 3-bet)?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:14 PM

3 betting with TT is the industry standard because a) you probably have the best hand and b) you don't want hands with big cards like QJs to cold call behind you.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the long face (read: could you explain the PF 3-bet)?

[/ QUOTE ]

we have position, initiative, and likely the best hand, 3betting gets it HU a fair amount 3handed a fair amount as well

also by 3betting you often get the TAGish player to incorrectly fold(based on if he knew you had TT)

plus the obvious answer raising is fun