Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-07-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Hand vs Carlos Mortensen in Bellagio 3K

I know how ESPN and the Travel Channel says Carlos play, but I don't know how he plays in reality. I would fold this pretty quickly against certain players, and insta call against others. Considering I have no read on Carlos it's hard to say, you obviously could judge his strength better. Against an unknown, jesus, I'd vomit on the table, and fold I think. But the thing is Mortensen knows he's Mortensen, and knows you know that, so that makes him not an unknown, even if you know nothing about his play in reality (which you do, I don't though). Complicated enough?

I think you're 3 bet is pretty horrible on the turn. I'm either check calling/ leading a river, or just calling his raise. I think 3 betting then folding to a raise is just weird, and makes not very much sense. You aren't really "charging him" with your small raise on the turn, just sort of giving him another chance to outplay you

Oh and the numbers are definitely off here:
[ QUOTE ]
Turn is another deuce and now I actually like my hand and fire out 550. Carlos eyes me suspiciously and makes the minimum raise to 1100. I consider keeping the pot as small as possible and then decide I oughtn't give him a free out. I make it 1800 to go, 1250 more to Carlos. Now Carlos pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice hand to post overall though.

ps... fold preeeeeflop
Old 12-07-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can put the third raise in without playing for your stack so I'm calling. Pot is huge, and you dont have to be right all the time to make the call right (plus isnt Carlos known for playing super fast?). Also, I'm a fan of checking the turn here for a number of reasons. More likely to get paid off by 1 paired hands, and save my stack against house/flush. If I hadn't done that I'd call the minraise and keep it small. If a 4th spade comes, so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, how about that...I agree with MLG

If I bust, at least it makes a good story to tell around the water cooler. I mean, a 3K tourney at the Bellagio...Me...bust in 20 muinutes...sounds about right.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:03 PM

Boy I hate that PF call, and I don't really hate many of those. I hate the flop bet too, but whatever.

I am either checkraising or calling that raise, because the one thing I don't want is exactly what happened. You can't lay this down but you have to really hate your hand.

I dunno, you brought this on yourself over the last two streets (what are you getting on the push, 2:1? With 10-ish outs vs. a flush if you're behind...yeah) so you may as well shrug and go broke. But wow, I really hate this hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:11 PM

You called a pre-flop raise w/ 6-2o, raised the flop w/ bottom pair. Now the poker Gods seem saying "Let's give a hand that busts him."

As for Carlos, I'm thinking has a medium pair.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boy I hate that PF call, and I don't really hate many of those. I hate the flop bet too, but whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll call with any-2 cards getting 7-1 that early that deep. Flop bet is donkeyfied for sure, but not really a big deal.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:16 PM

who, if anyone, is willing to go broke with this hand in this manner?

Reverse positions. He is.

I've played with Carlos Mortensen before and he totally owns me

If you know this, he knows this.

Is he pushing with a hand that I can beat?

I think he's pushing with a hand you already beat at least 1/3 of the time. The question is, of the 2/3 he's ahead, how often are you drawing dead?

Not often enough to fold, I think.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking you're ahead. These hands that are beating you:

77: Hmmmm. Nah. Hmmmmmm. Maybe.

A2: Nah. Hmmmmm. Nah.

Small spade connectors: Maybe. But why push with baby flush?

KQ spades: makes sense.

Why would he push the turn with any of those made hands? He wants to keep you in the hand with those. I think you're ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like 77. Carlos is pushing on the turn because he doesn't want to get sucked out by a spade on the river.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll call with any-2 cards getting 7-1 that early that deep. Flop bet is donkeyfied for sure, but not really a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd really like to hear a justification for that. You are out of position for every street, your hand can't make a real hand. As is evidenced by this post, even when you make a "monster" you are going to be hesitant.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking you're ahead. These hands that are beating you:

77: Hmmmm. Nah. Hmmmmmm. Maybe.

A2: Nah. Hmmmmm. Nah.

Small spade connectors: Maybe. But why push with baby flush?

KQ spades: makes sense.

Why would he push the turn with any of those made hands? He wants to keep you in the hand with those. I think you're ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like 77. Carlos is pushing on the turn because he doesn't want to get sucked out by a spade on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

And all this time I thought a full house beat a flush...
Old 12-07-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And all this time I thought a full house beat a flush...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops.