Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Line Check AK NL200 Full Ring

I check/call this river about 80%. Bet/fold the other 20%.

KoW
Old 12-06-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Direct,

I've gotten into situations like this a lot recently and one thing I've noticed is that two tone flops are really a losing proposition.

It's easy to convince yourself that the other guy is on the flush draw, whereas it seems that the vast majority of the time when the betting gets big, it's b/c they've hit a set.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but it seems relevant here. I'm not sure you would call the river push unless there was the possibility that the missed flush draw was trying to knock you out.

I'm trying to only play sets and actual flush draws on flops like this, when the action gets heavy. What do other people do in these situations?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say that pot control becomes way more important on a two tone board hand because you don't know whether the opponent is on a strong made hand or a draw when the action gets heavy. I am more likely to be passive on the flop and come alive on a blank turn in order to determine cheaply which holding the opponent has.

In response to the OP's preflop raise question, you either have to raise more or not at all. I think 15 preflop is good here.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:05 PM

bet pot or a bit less than pot on turn. Villians hand range IMO here in order of likelyhood

SC
KQ
AK (possibly suited)
KJ or worse
AA/QQ
JT (possibly suited)
bluff
Quad 5's

If he calls my turn bet I check fold.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:18 PM

Raise more PF, bet the flop, bet the turn but I would check the river.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am assuming the preflop and flop are fine by everyone, I guess the only hand I am worrying about is 55.
One the turn, I am guessing I could have made it a little more, but I am still not giving correct odds to chase.
On the river, I thought that was a good blocking bet at the time, what should I really be afraid of here, KQ, doesn't that need to raise somewhere? When he pushes I figure I am probably behind but getting about 4-1 I thought it was worth a call and I had to see what it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling because you "had to see what it was" will cost you alot of money. Thats the very reason almsot everyone calls too much. Its human nature to want to know not only what he has but to know you didnt get bluffed.

Bet the turn harder and check/call the river depending on how much he bets.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:34 PM

I don't see a reason to be a whole lot more than 50-60 on the turn. The board is paired, most villains know by now not to chase flushes on paired boards, and even if he does, then he's got what, 5-1 against hitting it on the river?

Keep it small here on a paired board. If the turn wouldn't have paired the board the raise would have been there.

As played, I fold the river and move on. People don't bluff the river allin often enough after you've bet every street for you to call this.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am assuming the preflop and flop are fine by everyone, I guess the only hand I am worrying about is 55.
One the turn, I am guessing I could have made it a little more, but I am still not giving correct odds to chase.
On the river, I thought that was a good blocking bet at the time, what should I really be afraid of here, KQ, doesn't that need to raise somewhere? When he pushes I figure I am probably behind but getting about 4-1 I thought it was worth a call and I had to see what it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling because you "had to see what it was" will cost you alot of money. Thats the very reason almsot everyone calls too much. Its human nature to want to know not only what he has but to know you didnt get bluffed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doing what iceman says here is probably the single best way to increase your winrate IMO.