Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-06-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Line Check AK NL200 Full Ring

If I bet $70, I would fold to a turn raise.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:32 AM

1. make it 13 pf (a normal raise with position would be to 11, ya gotta do a bit more imho to get HU hopefully.

2. Bet more on turn, many will take it away just because there.

3. check river and play poker
Old 12-06-2005, 03:56 AM

From this villan, who has very similar stats to me, this is a fold. He either has QQ, QK, or 55. The river raise all in is not a bluff.

Edit, in fact, given the pot size, I suppose you have to call.

EDIT2: In fact, getting 2-1, I would still fold.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:58 AM

Yeah that's why his turn/river combo is really really bad.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet $70 on turn

as it was played I would call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why shouldn't we treat this as a WA/WB situation on the turn and play for pot control?

A villan like that is not calling on the flop without A: set or top 2 B: flush draw.

We don't want to bloat the pot size if he does indeed have set. I think he can take you off a flush draw with reasonable certainty, and therefore he wouldn't give you the pleasure of raising the turn and letting you off if you bet $70. I check/call this turn and river.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why shouldn't we treat this as a WA/WB situation on the turn and play for pot control?

[/ QUOTE ]

because Hero is not way ahead a hand like J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2005, 10:13 AM

I agree that it is not always the case that hero is WAWB but those hands you list seem less likely and less dangerous than the hands you are afraid of. If a diamond comes off and you have bet the turn big, you are likely going to pay off because of the pot size.

It's so interesting how a seemingly harmless mistake (raise preflop) can combine with a moderate mistake (betting the turn not enough) to cost you your stack.

OP could have saved half his money by folding the river as played, and more than half if he had checked pf, bet flop, bet OR c/c turn, and decided on river.

It's important to note that if you bomb the preflop action with a big raise you don't need to bet the flop because of the much lesser possibility of a flush draw out there. Likewise since you have not made the pot that big with a flop bet, you can safely fire out on a blank turn and really get a good range of hands on your opponents.

Stop & go is pretty strong, and it will blast out most hands in opponent's range.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:07 AM

Preflop raise was a mistake? Please explain, if it is I am doing a lot of things wrong... or do you mean the amount?
I am a little suprised now that I went back through that I only made it $8 usually I add an extra BB to the rule, ad make it like $14 here, I can't tell ya what I was thinking there.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:19 AM

Direct,

Something to think about here. Villian limped in the UTG+1 and when you raised he just called instead of the re-raise. I play this game quite a bit and after the board paired on the turn and he called your bet you have to assume he is not on flush draw and either has 5555, KQ or QQQ. As it is, I check river and see his action. Also raise Ak and Big pairs in BB SB to about 12 in this game, youll have an easier time knowing where you are at when out of position. Tough hand , keep fighting.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:28 PM

Direct,

I've gotten into situations like this a lot recently and one thing I've noticed is that two tone flops are really a losing proposition.

It's easy to convince yourself that the other guy is on the flush draw, whereas it seems that the vast majority of the time when the betting gets big, it's b/c they've hit a set.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but it seems relevant here. I'm not sure you would call the river push unless there was the possibility that the missed flush draw was trying to knock you out.

I'm trying to only play sets and actual flush draws on flops like this, when the action gets heavy. What do other people do in these situations?