Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Open up your blind stealing hands to hands like K9s, or even Q9o
No 0 0%
Depends on table tightness 8 19.05%
Yes 34 80.95%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Dating smarter / not as smart girls...your thoughts

I'm going out with a girl for a couple weeks now...and she's probably one of the smartest girls I've ever met for her age (we're both 27.) She can handle any topic I throw at her, including sports, history, geography, p***r (!), religion, and she always has something to add to the discussion. She's also articulate and intuitive (and very attractive...not every day I find a girl like this.)

Last night, she made a comment that I found interesting, to say the least. She said that guys prefer dumb girls. This came from her mother. I asked her to clarify, and she said guys prefer girls that aren't as smart as them...they feel threatened and can't stand on equal ground. This reminded me of an article by Paglia I read a few weeks ago that said guys consciously date girls in occupations seen as inferior to their own, reclaiming the breadwinner title...my inference was that she was also saying that guys look to date girls who are less intelligent.

I consider myself to be slightly above average in intelligence, by no means a brainiac or a genius. Most of the girls I've had success dating are probably around the same level. It definitely makes for better conversation, and it's part of what makes a girl attractive to me (but not as important as sanity or sense of humor.)

So this issue is bugging the s@#$ out of me. Thoughts, comments, anything would be appreciated. Guys and girls, do you consciously seek out potential mates that are smarter / as smart / not as smart or does it matter to you? I know this poll is informal and unscientific, but hopefully the discussion is entertaining as always.

ScottieK
Old 12-05-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Dating smarter / not as smart girls...your thoughts

I dated a girl that was pretty far below my intelligence level and although it was funny sometimes, it did not make for the most intrigueing conversations. I'm decently smart and any girl I date now has to be able to challenge me intellectually, although a girl that much smarter may not work. Dumb can be fun, but not for the longterm.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:56 PM

Dumb is dangerous
Old 12-05-2005, 02:57 PM

There is a difference between occupation and intelligence. I'd bet that in general men prefer women who have lower occupational status than them yet, would also prefer women who are of similar intelligence.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a difference between occupation and intelligence. I'd bet that in general men prefer women who have lower occupational status than them yet, would also prefer women who are of similar intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:58 PM

I think the smarter guys prefer a woman who is equal or a little bit less intelligent.

Personally I can't stand dumbfucks whether they're male or female.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:59 PM

I like girls that hover around my intelligence level. My current girlfriend is smart, and especially intelligent in her field (biology), whereas I focus more on politics and things of that nature. She always claims that I'm smarter, when to me it seems like we just discuss my fields of interest more often.

I'd lean towards saying that mothers telling intelligent girls that guys prefer dumb chicks is just to make them feel better.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I consider myself to be slightly above average in intelligence, by no means a brainiac or a genius. Most of the girls I've had success dating are probably around the same level. It definitely makes for better conversation, and it's part of what makes a girl attractive to me (but not as important as her butt or how big her boobies are.)

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-05-2005, 03:00 PM

ScottieK,

If she is a doctor, I think I could live without having the "Bread winner" title

Still looking,

lbk
Old 12-05-2005, 03:02 PM

Gee, I'm sure glad this thoughtful post included a poll. I would have missed it otherwise.

Anyway, I know I don't want a girl who's much dumber than me. Talking with chicks who are dumb as a post isn't any fun, or at least, as Emmitt said, the novelty wears off fast. Smarter than me? Eh, I'm not sure. I agree, though, that I want to be in the role of the dominant breadwinner rather than being Mr. Utah. It's something I could deal with if I found the right girl, though. I guess I go for a girl who's a little smarter than me down to a girl who's a fair bit dumber, but there's a definite minimum acceptable value of dumbness.