Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: vitamin supplement

I think my first advice is still spot on, but I'd like to stress some points to accomodate the issues excellently raised by Craig - you can have too much Vitamin A (too much kills you!) and Iron, and you need through the day supply of B and C.

However, the timed release handles the through the day thing, and a single multivitamin/mineral would I'm sure take good care not to overdo the A and Iron, and may in fact be better to self-regulate this than single supplements!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Multis in either form are often not the best way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Much cheaper and more convenient than separate ones, and usually created to not inhibit digestion of each other etc.

Seriously, why not? Never heard a reason they were not the best way to go before.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can find good ones, multis are fine. The problem I've run into the most is many of them won't have the right amounts of certain types of things. It's also important for things to be in the right forms. For instance, most vitamin C in multis is not derived from a good source Also, finding good multis with chelated minerals can be tough, too.

Usually the whole list will look good until I get to one or two things that completely ruin the multi for me. It's pretty difficult to reach into a pill and yank out the few things you don't want.

If you want to know more about the different sources for various vitamins, I highly recommend Mindell's book. It's cheap and packed with a lot of information.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:47 PM

I would stay away from most multi-whatevers that you buy in stores. Stay away from GNC as well.

I am opening myself up to the same flaming ZeeJustin got in his thread but here we go. Some of the best information on supplements is on the Immortality Institute forums. I think the project of the Immortality Institute, "conquering the blight of involuntaray death", is sensationalist and a bit silly. That being said the people who are involved are passionate and science oriented. Their forums, I only read the ones under the Health subsection, are full of good information and many times arguments are backed up with scientific studies. Don't rule out this resource because you think immortality is a pipe dream.

Here are some specific recommendations. RelentlessImprovement.com is in my opinion the best supplier of quality dietary supplements. They are expensive. Advanced OrthoMolecular Research is the best producer, go to their web page and read their magazine. It talks about several of their products and how they compare to what else is on the market. Ortho-Core is widely recognized by life extensionists as the best multi-vitamin. I'm not going to make their case for them, any of the sources I gave will provide it. If you think it is possible to live to around 100 through proper self care, and I do, then one of the most important issues is brain health. To that end I suggest some CoQ10, around 30-50mg. As has been mentioned Omega 3 fats are very improtant for brain and all around health. Don't skimp on this, get it from a quality supplier, free from PCBs and heavy metals, one of the best is Nordic Naturals. I would also take more Vitamin C than what they give you in Ortho-Core. There's always more you can take if you want to get deeper into it but I think the above has a lot of benefit. And of course even more important than the above is your diet. All the usual warnings about white flour, white sugar, bread, fried foods, alcohol etc. blah blah blah go here.

regards,

raisins

P.S. Mason mentioned in a thread a month or so ago that he takes 100 pills a day. It would be interesting to get his thoughts.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:27 PM

daryn,

Perhaps it has been linked to somewhere else, but The Mason recently posted a link to his vitamin life extension program or whatever, where he takes like 100 vitamins a day or something.

Yours in health,
El Diablo
Old 12-01-2005, 04:02 PM

Some studies actually indicate that taking excessive amounts of vitamins can be bad for you, e.g. excess Vitamin A increases the risk of osteoporosis and bone fractures.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:25 PM

Centrum Silver has no iron. It's good for men, especially meat-eating men. Just take two a day. It's fine.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:30 PM

All,

I think my life would be easier if people would just list the vitamins one should take.

Nutritionally,

Caldarooni
Old 12-01-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some studies actually indicate that taking excessive amounts of vitamins can be bad for you, e.g. excess Vitamin A increases the risk of osteoporosis and bone fractures.

[/ QUOTE ]

All fat soluble vitamins have this risk. Because your body actually will store more than it needs. But, like with C, you can take too much, but it really takes ALOT. Your body will piss out what it doesn't need.

craig
Old 12-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Here's what I take (when I remember)

I'm sure it's probably all wrong, but certainly helps keep up energy etc. However this is a UK product, so sorry everywhere else!