Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-27-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: QQ flops top set, pretty disgusted with this one.

Beg pardon, but what does OOP mean?

Thanks,
tlt
Old 11-27-2005, 12:37 PM

Arnfinn, I like the line of leading the flop and attempting a C/R on the turn. I get some bets in the pot, and he will probably bet the turn if I check to him.

thief-OOP=out of position.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:30 PM

I am saddened by this play. You are probably not getting much out of this player anyhow.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, SB folds.

Preflop is obvious.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

I had noticed that MP was betting weak hands on the turn and/or river if it was checked around on the flop or the turn. I checked the flop to give him a chance to catch up a little bit, and hopefully induce a bet on the turn.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

Having him check behind on the turn sucks, as I was hoping he would bet.

River: (2.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

So, I don't want to run the risk of him checking behind on the river, so I have to lead out

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

Overall, I was really unhappy with how I played the hand. Anybody else play this differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Bet the flop. Checking this extremely ragged flop HU when you raised preflop just about screams QQ.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:50 PM

Grunch;

I always bet this flop. He could assume you continued with AK or whatever UI. If the flop ck'ed through, definately bet out on turn and river. You want some value from these rare hands.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he was first to act, I may check behind on the flop and raise him on the turn if he bets. If he don't, im betting instead. Now you think he will bet on the turn but since you are first to act it's risky.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2005, 06:45 PM

You have to think about this hand in the context of your game as a whole. You bet roughly every flop HU after raising pf. You therefore do the same here. Do you tend to give up and check on the turn or river HU with a weak overcard hand? If you've been check/folding a lot of rivers a c/r might work well and help you reduce the frequency of bluffs (resulting in a useful free river or two). But the turn might be better unless the board is scary (meaning you don't want to give a free card) as Villain checking through might actually win you an extra bet when he calls the river hoping to snap off a bluff or improves and raises or decides to bluff himself. You obviously have to tailor things to this specific Villain, but don't play the hand in isolation.

It all starts on the flop. Just bet. Maybe Villain raises and you can call and bet-3-bet the turn since he plays very aggressively. Maybe a bet/call c/r line makes more sense vs this guy. Maybe he calls and raises the turn. Even just getting himt to call down all the way with a weak pair or A-high isn't terrible. You won't know if you don't bet, so get some chips in.

Betting straightworwardly tends to work well. Villains like to call, so give them the opportunity -- generosity is a virtue.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:57 PM

Don't outthink yrself. Just bet, and if he gets frisky (starts raising you), then you can think about doing something fancy, entirely depending on your read. Until then just bet. You have the best hand. Given your read and the small pot, I don't hate the flop check as much as I normally would, but I still prefer a bet even here. You raised preflop, so HU a flop bet is not anything out of the ordinary. He is likely to raise you with a little piece. If he folds it's not the end of the world.