Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-26-2005, 09:46 PM

Default QQ flops top set, pretty disgusted with this one.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, SB folds.

Preflop is obvious.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

I had noticed that MP was betting weak hands on the turn and/or river if it was checked around on the flop or the turn. I checked the flop to give him a chance to catch up a little bit, and hopefully induce a bet on the turn.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

Having him check behind on the turn sucks, as I was hoping he would bet.

River: (2.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

So, I don't want to run the risk of him checking behind on the river, so I have to lead out

Final Pot: 4.50 BB

Overall, I was really unhappy with how I played the hand. Anybody else play this differently?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: QQ flops top set, pretty disgusted with this one.

At .50/1 you make most of your money from people calling with worse hands, not from inducing bluffs. It means you have to bet the flop, bet the turn and bet the river. No slowplaying when nobody else have shown aggression.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:53 PM

I would bet out on the flop.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:00 PM

"I had noticed that MP was betting weak hands on the turn and/or river if it was checked around on the flop or the turn. I checked the flop to give him a chance to catch up a little bit, and hopefully induce a bet on the turn."

I wouldn't do this with this read since you don't have position on him. If he was first to act, I may check behind on the flop and raise him on the turn if he bets. If he don't, im betting instead. Now you think he will bet on the turn but since you are first to act it's risky. He may aswell check like he did and you find yourself short of a bet in the pot.

With your position, I bet the flop here and the turn building a nice pot that he will most likely call on the river.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:01 PM

Like Arnfinn said, you missed valuable bets here. Now, your read about villian betting ragged boards might be correct but remember - you were the preflop raiser. He is expecting you to bet. So, when you don't, your expectations of what he might do are now skewed. If you bet your set everytime on the flop, it would rarely be a mistake. If you never bet your set, it is almost always a mistake.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:03 PM

Yeah I really couldn't decide what to do on this one. I would feel stupid if I didn't use my read, and lead the flop, turn and river. But on the other hand, when I act according to my read, I risk missing out on bets when he would have called with a weak hand that he wouldn't bet out with(even when checked to)
Old 11-26-2005, 10:10 PM

Letting the opponent catch up is mainly a No Limit-concept, since in No Limit you can make a lot of cash from a good hand when you have a very good one. In limit you have only limited opportunities to get bets in and you have to use them.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Letting the opponent catch up is mainly a No Limit-concept, since in No Limit you can make a lot of cash from a good hand when you have a very good one. In limit you have only limited opportunities to get bets in and you have to use them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but that doesn't mean there is no place for slowplaying in limit. Find your copy of SSHE, look at page 128. But all in all, I think I misplayed this hand pretty badly.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:19 PM

You really need to bet that flop. If he is one to bet with weak hands or draws, he is probably willing to call with weak hands and draws as well. Getting checked through on the flop and turn is horrible. Your opponenets expect you to bet the flop after raising preflop, when you check most of the time they suspect a)weak hand or b)monster and when you check raise the flop ( which is what I hope you were intending to do) they will think monster only. Betting the flop leaves your opponents clueless. Yes sometimes they may all fold but they also might call down with bottom pair if they put you on AK.
A Flop bet is almost mandatory here unless you are against a complete mouse who wont call without a huge hand in that case check the flop and try to induce a bet but even if he checks through, bet the turn. You missed lots of value bets on this hand.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but that doesn't mean there is no place for slowplaying in limit. Find your copy of SSHE, look at page 128. But all in all, I think I misplayed this hand pretty badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I visit this forum and that's what I get [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Slowplaying in limit is very overrated. At the lower and small stakes, the main mistakes your opponents do is to call too much. At higher limits, the game gets tighter; so you bet your good hands (instead of slowplaying), so that you also can bet when you have a draw or air pushing your opponent(s) to fold.