Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-26-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: A Gorie Hand

[ QUOTE ]
Your analysis for the second worst play is way off. You're criticizing hero for making the proper play on the flop? Yes, a previous error put him in this spot, but calling is clearly correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-read what I wrote, Aaron. I didn't say it was a bad play...in fact, I said it was likely a good play. I said it was the second worst "part" of the hand, that a poor play on an earlier street had put him in a position where he had to make a difficult play, that should have been an easy play. Perhaps I need to work on expressing myself more clearly.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:13 PM

3-betting a TAG UTG+1 raise from the blinds, huh? Not to sound like Mike Sexton, but I don't think it's +EV to do this when you're "at best a coinflip" and OOP.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-betting a TAG UTG+1 raise from the blinds, huh? Not to sound like Mike Sexton, but I don't think it's +EV to do this when you're "at best a coinflip" and OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Notice we're not HU, so the term "coinflip" doesn't make much sense here. You don't compare your hand to each individual opponent here, you have to analyze them all at the same time to compare the equity. We may very well have the second best hand, which is fine because we will still make money off of all the other hands in the pot (if we do in fact have the second best hand). Here's a link that proves why. Ramming and Jamming Preflop

An extensive simulation with AQs vs JJ. Even though we're a slight dog to this hand, with other players in the pot it is MUCH MUCH better to 3-bet. Interestingly, he also does a simulation with AQs vs QQ and found that it is more profitable to reraise preflop.

At first I hated gorie's pf 3-bet but I don't really think it was a big mistake. Our hand is probably a little too weak but I honestly don't think it costs much in the long run.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At first I hated gorie's pf 3-bet but I don't really think it was a big mistake. Our hand is probably a little too weak but I honestly don't think it costs much in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree with this, and I realize it's not HU. Frankly I was just itchin to throw in a Mike Sexton reference.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:46 PM

Im sorry but 3 betting a tag in EP with 88 is a poor play. You would have to play flawlessly post flop for this to be correct and it just doesnt seem worth it. Also, even with implied odds, a call isnt warranted on the flop. I just think you put yourself in a big mess of a situation.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im sorry but 3 betting a tag in EP with 88 is a poor play. You would have to play flawlessly post flop for this to be correct and it just doesnt seem worth it. Also, even with implied odds, a call isnt warranted on the flop. I just think you put yourself in a big mess of a situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Closing the action getting 18:1 is enough to draw to a set.